Films - Processing - Cross-processing

JB Guillot

Hi all,

I didn't know if I should post this here as it deals with Super 8 but also with films and film processing.

I've been shooting Super8 for 3 years now and I've alway used the now gone K40. I am now a bit "lost" in all available films and I can't really make my mind on the various emulsions that can be found on the market.

I've once seen an interesting website with some film grabs that could help me...but I lost the link !

If you guys have some grabs, links or just comments on the various Super 8 films than can be found at the present time, you prefered stock or whatever...this would be kind to share this here.

The other part of my topic deals with processing : I've only used K40 with "standard" processing and I am interested in trying some new stuff like push/pull or cross-processing.

Questions are : what are the limits ? What can be done with each stock ? In which conditions ? What result can this give ? Did you ever test cross-processing ? ...

Once again any picture, comments, piece of information, link, could help me design the "filmlook" of my future films.

Thanks a lot for your help and keep on making Super 8 alive !

Regards.

• 1 month later...

I took my Super 8 stuff out yesterday ; purpose was to compare both cameras (the Canon 514 XL I own for 3 year and my recently baught Beaulieu 4008) and films, reference being K40, second one being Wittner 100D.

100D seems to be a good choice for my upcoming project (daylight shots in the countryside, mountain, woods...) but I already found its limits on a "dark wood" shot, aperture was maximum but exposure wasn't great (according to the 4008's cell).

One question then : should I have cheated with the sensitivity to over-expose the shot ? Any ideas ?

If there simply isn't enought light, then that's that unless you undercrank or use faster film. I don't know if you have a variable shutter; if so, you can open that up to maximum.

There's also a trick to get a reading in low light- read off a white card and open up 3 stops from that.

Thanks Mark !

Sadly your first words are what I finally guessed : not enough light for this film (or the other way round, wrong film for those light conditions).

If you look at it correctly (and not just 5 minutes as I did :rolleyes: ) cheating with the ASA setting won't change anything : both aperture and shutter are at their maximum so cheating with ASA will just change the light meter data, not the final picture <_< ...

I just have to deal with it or finance some negative stocks :(

Thanks Mark !

Sadly your first words are what I finally guessed : not enough light for this film (or the other way round, wrong film for those light conditions).

If you look at it correctly (and not just 5 minutes as I did :rolleyes: ) cheating with the ASA setting won't change anything : both aperture and shutter are at their maximum so cheating with ASA will just change the light meter data, not the final picture <_< ...

I just have to deal with it or finance some negative stocks :(

Hi;

Some labs will push 100D up to 2 stops (www.andecfilm.de). Post pushing probably won't affect the darker parts of your shots as much as the highlights but it's kinda like the 100D becomes 400D, expect increased grain.

Some labs will push 100D up to 2 stops (www.andecfilm.de). Post pushing probably won't affect the darker parts of your shots as much as the highlights but it's kinda like the 100D becomes 400D, expect increased grain.

Good thing to know but loads of question after such a post... :(

1- If I understand it right, I have to shoot "correctly" (ASA 100 on the camera, everything as usual) but tell the lab to push the processing, right ?

2- As a consequence, this trick will only work on full cartridges (not a sequence in the middle of the cartridge), right ?

3- What kind of result can be expected (any examples) ?

No doubt I still have LOADS of things to learn about S8 :rolleyes:

Thanks ;)

Good thing to know but loads of question after such a post... :(

1- If I understand it right, I have to shoot "correctly" (ASA 100 on the camera, everything as usual) but tell the lab to push the processing, right ?

2- As a consequence, this trick will only work on full cartridges (not a sequence in the middle of the cartridge), right ?

3- What kind of result can be expected (any examples) ?

No doubt I still have LOADS of things to learn about S8 :rolleyes:

Thanks ;)

Hi;

1 - I would use an external meter set at 400 ASA or alternatively set your cam to 400ASA (if you can)? That's gonna be nice and accurate and I would think allow you an ok exposure in the woods.

2- Correct, full carts only.

3- Read this... http://onsuper8.blogspot.com/2007/12/push-me-pull-me.html

Regards

Thanks for your post Justin !

I've been going through this "blog" and found some interesting grabs or transfer...

Good job and keep on experimenting !

"Could be a cool look for your next project..." It surely gives a lot a ideas for upcoming projects... ;)