Ewa Backwinder

Marty Hamrick

Someone gave me one of these and yesterday I was playing around with it with

an old cartridge of K-40 that I knew I wasn't going to bother processing, so I wanted to see how this thing worked mechanically.

Now I had no camera with frame counter, so I ran off about 5 feet in my Canon 814 AZ. I then pulled out the cart and marked the first frame of where I was starting my multi exposed shot,that is, if I were actually shooting something. I put a piece of tape over the core, like your'e supposed to, and ran off 120 frames. I'll add that I tried this experiment in various parts of the cart until I had "shot" the whole thing. Anyway, I had mentally done a count of sprocket teeth on the inner wheel of the backwinder and figured 18 frames per turn. So I rewound what I figured was my 120 frames ( I tried this both shooting 120 frames singly and counting clicks and shooting at 24 and using a digital stop watch) but I was never able to hit the original marked frame.

Does anyone have any great tips on how to successfully make these things work? Is there any way to be frame accurate?