Hi,

When you are loading a mag, do you tape the rim of the mag in the changing tent? Or do you tape it when you get the mag out of the tent? And do you seal the can with tape in the tent as well? or do it outside?

When I was loading, my tent gets so hot and humid that the tape doesn't stick very well and had hard time taping. Is it okay to tape those things out side of the tent? I am pretty sure that the film won't be exposed to the light anyway. It's so hard to tape the rim of the 1000' mags in the tent.

What's the proper way?

Thanks.

Alex Baggio

Hi,

When you are loading a mag, do you tape the rim of the mag in the changing tent? Or do you tape it when you get the mag out of the tent? And do you seal the can with tape in the tent as well? or do it outside?

When I was loading, my tent gets so hot and humid that the tape doesn't stick very well and had hard time taping. Is it okay to tape those things out side of the tent? I am pretty sure that the film won't be exposed to the light anyway. It's so hard to tape the rim of the 1000' mags in the tent.

What's the proper way?

Thanks.

Alex Baggio

Yes, outside is fine. The tape is really just there to secure the mag and the can. When I was loading, I'd test the lid and the can lid in the dark before turning the light on or taking either out of the tent. Once I knew the mag was secure and that the film was in the black bag and the can top was in place, I knew it was okay to be in the light again.

Proceed to tape!

And if you're not doing it (and it sounds like maybe you're not), don't use new tape for every mag. Once you've started the show, save those lengths on the wall in the darkroom. It not only saves tape, but it saves you time because the tape is already to the proper length. Eventually you'll have to replace the strips as the adhesive breaks down, but you should be able to get quite a few mags out of it.

In regards to taping cans. Just for safety, I always keep a roll of 1" tape inside the tent and just tear off maybe 2 x 4" lengths to tape the can crossways closed before I take it out. One it's out, I can neatly tape along the can's seam. It's worked fine and I've never had any light leak problems using this method.

For extra security, I also reuse the black bags that come inside with each roll.

Thats what the black bag is for. Check used bags for holes before using them. New bags should be fine. Just do it all carefully. I loaded very briefly on like 3 projects, but I've had a lot of loaders under me. Sometimes just pulling the can through the sleeve of the bag can help ensure a secure light seal so the lid of the can isnt loose while unzipping the tent. NEVER DO THIS WITH LIGHT SENSITIVE MATERIAL EXPOSED IN THE TENT! But just yank it through and tape it up. I never liked too much crap in the tent, extra tape etc.

also, check the mags too for obvious light leaks. Last week, I was shooting on an PanArri III and I loaded myself because it was just a few pick up shots. we had 3 mags, and Luckily I just so happened to hold the mag up against light, and low and behold there was a friggin screw missing from the mag! A clear light leak that would have ruined the film! I wasnt available to check the prep so the director went and had the prep techs at panavision do it. they must have missed that little detail! Grrrrr!!!!!!!!!! I had no AC's since it was just a few shots and we didnt really need them for shooting, not to mention no fair rate so I didnt even want to hurt anyones feelings by offering 50/bucks for a prep day.

point being, these little holes can go undetected easily, so check everything, including the mags. all it takes is for one little bolt to let light it....

Best

Truth is the can is just a secondary measure.

If your roll is right down the bottom of the bag and its folded correctly, then the roll is safe in the bag alone.

I've seen situations where the Loader has run out of cans and they've just put it into a bag and taped it up good.

All fine.