Angenieux 12-120 10x12B with Rex1 ?

Sean McHenry

I have a chance at a really good deal on the following Angenieux 12-120 10 x 12 B in a "C" mount. The question is, I see on the Bolex Collector site that it does show the standard Angenieux 12-120 as compatible with the reflex models if it says RX. The one I am interested in, he cannot find that on the lens body. I am not sure what else to ask him to look for. He tells me it was used on an NPR but also says it's a "C" mount.

I have a few small pics of it:

80bf_1.JPG

7fec_1.JPG

8062_1.JPG

If they don't show up from Ebay (borrowing them from the ad) let me know and I can send them to an interested party.

Looking to close the deal soon. Please e-mail if you have any ideas.

Thanks

Sean

Sean(at)deepblueedit.com - direct e-mail change the (at)

Hi Sean,

The lens will work fine if it's collimated properly to Bolex standard.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

I suppose to make life easy I could buy this one then send it up to you to have that done? It is something that can be corrected if it is not already collimated to a Reflex, yes?

I'll drop you an e-mail about it. I'll let you know the deal if I take it. I can't pass it up if it will work.

Thanks,

Sean

• 2 months later...

Wanted to resurrect this thread for a moment. The lens came in some time ago and while it does look used, seems to be in decent shape. It is however striped down. That is, it does not have the 2 cranks with it. I tried contacting Ang about parts but talking with them takes forever via e-mail and it's been a month or so since I asked my questions and have yet to hear about it again. Not blaming them, I know they are in the business of seeling newer lenses and I am sure this is not an important issue for them.

Just wondering if anyone has any connections to the crank parts? maybe from a badly damaged lens?

Sean McHenry

Hi Sean,

Send me a picture of the lens showing what is missing. I might have it.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Will do Jean-Louis. It is the same lens shown in the pics above. That's the one I bought for around $100. Seems in good shape but is missing the 2 hand cranks found on all the others. There is a piece of black sticky foil covering the two mount holes that looks lamost professional in nature, like they supplied the lens without the cranks originally maybe. One is for a faster hand held zoom and the other is I believe for focus. Both have simple threaded mount holes and the rings are geared on the back edges for focus and zoom as I recall (lens is at home today)

I'll send you some real pictures of the missing area tonight direct.

Thanks. I think I need to send this one to you for a check up too. Seems very smooth but won't hurt to have it gone over since these are still going for a lot of money on Ebay. Want to keep everything in good shape. Probably send the Rex1 off to Bernie for a look too. Likely needs cleaned, lubed and speed checked.

Thanks,

Sean

I goofed the info in the last post and it won't let me kill the post or edit for some reason right now - it should have said the following:

Will do Jean-Louis. It is the same lens shown in the pics above. That's the one I bought for around $100. Seems in good shape but is missing the hand crank for the focus and the stick for the zoom found on all the others. There is a piece of black sticky foil covering the focus gear crank mount hole that looks almost professional in nature, like maybe they supplied the lens without the crank originally? The stick is for a faster hand held zoom and the crank is I believe just to mount the focus crank. Both have simple threaded mount holes and the ring for focus is geared on the front edge for zoom as I recall (lens is at home today) It is the same as the 12-120 shown here:

http://www.bolexcollector.com/lenses/60angenieux.html

I'll send you some real pictures of the missing area tonight direct.

Thanks. I think I need to send this one to you for a check up too. Seems very smooth but won't hurt to have it gone over since these are still going for a lot of money on Ebay. Want to keep everything in good shape. Probably send the Rex1 off to Bernie for a look too. Likely needs cleaned, lubed and speed checked.

Thanks,

Sean

• 1 month later...

Hi Sean,

This may be old at this point, but I wanted to post this info for anyone still trying to understand Angénieux's system for older lenses (and forget about getting info, and above all parts from Angénieux at this point, they just don't care, and mostly don't remember they made the 12-120 for 30 years or so -- or should I say, the 12-120 made them...).

So, for all the classic Angénieux lenses, from the early 60's up to about 1980/85, each zoom lens has a description giving the focal variation multiplied by the widest focal setting (10x12 in the case of the 12-120 lens) followed by a type, for example your 10x12B. the types are as follow :

Type A is the model with a built in viewfinder (and generally a C-mount).

Type B is the regular model with various standard cine mounts (C, Arri, Eclair, Aaton, CP...).

Type C is the model collimated for Bolex Reflex (whether in C mount or Bolex Bayonet mount).

Other "types" were added in the 70's to match video camera mounts, but I don't know much about these.

So, a 4x18 A lens is a 18-64 Reflex zoom. A 20x12B is a 12-240 zoom in any of the common cine mount, and so on. This is helpful to know to identify lenses that were adapted later on (some reflex lenses lost their viewfinders, for example), or generally messed with (non matching type indication), since it's very easy to switch the fron element on one of these lenses with another from the same family (even though changing the front element should not matter optically, since they were the same across the 3 types).

Fixed focal Angénieux lenses also have Type indication, which describes the type of lense design they have (for instance, all Type R fixed focals are retrofocus design, and so, mostly wide-angle). Lens mount is not indicated in this type-system either.

Some fixed focal Angé cine lenses in C-mount have an engraving across the barrel that states 'Special P.' which stands for Special Paillard and indicates the lens is collimated for Bolex Reflex. These are very rare, and all other Angénieux fixed focals (including the very common 10mm.) should not be used on a Bolex Reflex without first checking its optical performance at wide apertures.

Hope this is helpful and clears out some of the confusion out there on these very common lenses.

Best, B.

Thanks for all the great info B. I'll have to print this out and file it away. I know the whole field is rather complicated especially with all the different flange focal lengths of different cameras, slight variations in years, processes, coatings, etc and all that isn't helped by being 30 years old I suppose. Good stuff there.

I have shot some test rolls with it on older film stock to check for focus and clarity issues. My eye isn't that critical as I am moving into more and more abstract stuff as time goes on so razor sharpness isn't something I am watching for at the moment. I really appreciate the info.

Sean

• 10 years later...

Hey all,

I know this is an old post, but I wanted to drop in and see if I could get any answers.

Boris, you mention for the 12-120 that the "Type C" version is collimated for Bolex reflex. I have this lens and started a post about it here: http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=78924

In a nutshell, my version is a Type C, but does not have the silver satin mount that says "For Bolex RX" engraved, it is just a standard black c mount. Is mine just a different version of the same lens and is it indeed compatible with the RX prism? I'm getting mixed answers and I dont want to eat up film without knowing for sure.

Best and thanks in advance,

-Derick