Lighting for night scene

Toshi

• Premium Member

Do you mean like a theater with plays or a movie theater? Either way, why does it matter if it is day or night if you are inside a dark theater? The time of day would not affect the lighting. Or do you mean a scene on stage that takes place at night? Please clarify because I think this could be an interesting discussion.

One more thing. you need to go to the "My Controls" link at the top right of this site and change your screenname to your Full first name, a space, and your last name as this is a requirement of this forum.

There are two schools of thought with regards to lighting a theater. One is the more realistic approach. The light from the screen should be the primary light on the faces and it should fluctuate in exposure and have a slight flicker. The other theory with I tend to like it that theater is a dark experience for the audience. The stage is lit but the audience feels as if they are in the dark. So I tend to backlight the audience usually from the projector in the back of the theater and use a minimal amount of fill. A little atmosphere will enhance the project beam.

yep i mean i need to light a scene on stage which takes place at night. i'm looking at dogville for reference.

the problem is my stage has a very low ceiling, it's about 2.5m from top to bottom.

• Premium Member

How you light this scene depends on what type of scene you are trying to create on stage? Are you doing an interior or an exterior. Night is often light more contrasty than day, so I would recommend keeping your fill light lower or even non existent depending on the look you are going for. Chinese lanterns can work with low cealings if you are having trouble keeping lights out of the shot because you can use them as practicals if the story calls for them. I would try to give you more specifics, but I'm not quite sure what your scene entails. Please be as specific as you can. Is this something you are filming, is this a live show? Does your theater have a catwalk or some sort of overhead railing?

One more thing. You still need to change your screen name to your First and Last name. This is NOT optional. This requirement exists to maintain professionalism on this forum. All you need to do is go to "My Controls." Once you do that, look on the left side of the screen. Under personal profile, click "Change Display Name" and then change it to your FULL first and last name.