This ain't M42, right?

Ira Ratner

I just bought this same lens on e Bay from someone else in M42--a Vivitar 135mm F2.8.

But this guy is describing this as M42, so look at the 4th photo down:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=003

That's a K mount, correct? I just emailed him, so no reply yet.

And for all of you K3 wanna-be's out there, I paid just 17 bucks for mine, with 8 bucks shipping.

Now THAT'S cheap!!!

The best thing is, when my wife saw my eBay invoice for it, she'll now have no IDEA that I paid $290 for the Peleng 8mm.

Tee hee.

Edited by Ira Ratner

I wasn't bidding on it anyway--I had already bought one in M42.

I contacted the seller and he thanked me for letting him now, so he changed the description. (He had to add a disclaimer at the bottom because he couldn't change the title.)

• 5 years later...

Is it easy to change a mount yourself? Not an adapter, but the actual mount on one of these? I just bought a Peleng 8mm lens that was listed as an M42 mount, and it arrived with a Nikon mount. This is shipped all the way from Belarus, so right after I complained that he sent me a Nikon mount Peleng, he suggests he can send me the "actual mount" to replace myself. Turning this into an M42. This scares me a lot....since I just bought a new lens, and expect it to work as a new lens...and I am just now getting this as my first lens other than my stock Meteor zoom on my Krasnogorsk 3. I am a little worried I will miss something very obvious and screw it up "mounting this myself". Is it easy to do? Or should I send this thing back straight up and ask for a new one?

Edited by Matthew B Clark

It depends on the design of the lens. Sometimes, it's as easy as just turning a few screws. I think the Peleng was designed to be swappable. The mount itself is usually just a chunk of metal or plastic, and is an adapter of sorts.