HVX200 daylight or tungsten balanced

Jason Anderson

what is the native preference of the HVX200, will the chip perform better with its native balance?

Jason

CCD's don't like warm light. You'll always get a better image with cooler light. How much better, I don't know, but I'm sure someone has performed some tests somewhere along the way.

what is the native preference of the HVX200, will the chip perform better with its native balance?

Jason

Jason,

I don't know if this will apply to the HVX, but I did some tests on my Varicam by looking at the maximum dynamic range of the camera using tungsten and daylight and not using any color correction filters on the camera. The Varicam allows one to shoot in FilmRec mode and see the entire dynamic range that the camera can shoot.

The idea behind the test was to see when a single color clipped before the others using a waveform monitor and controlled lighting.

The conventional wisdom was that the camera should always be used in tungsten mode and use the colored filter wheel to correct for daylight (or 85 type filter in front of the lens).

My conclusion was that the camera is at it's optimum between the two color temperatures, but closer to daylight. Setting the camera to daylight mode (for daylight shooting) resulted in slightly less noisy images than tungsten mode with tungsten light. I now shoot the camera in daylight mode for daylight with no filter and tungsten mode for tungsten with no filter.

If the ccd's and color filters are similar for the HVX, then the same advice should apply to your camera.

• Premium Member
Jason,

I don't know if this will apply to the HVX, but I did some tests on my Varicam by looking at the maximum dynamic range of the camera using tungsten and daylight and not using any color correction filters on the camera. The Varicam allows one to shoot in FilmRec mode and see the entire dynamic range that the camera can shoot.

The idea behind the test was to see when a single color clipped before the others using a waveform monitor and controlled lighting.

The conventional wisdom was that the camera should always be used in tungsten mode and use the colored filter wheel to correct for daylight (or 85 type filter in front of the lens).

My conclusion was that the camera is at it's optimum between the two color temperatures, but closer to daylight. Setting the camera to daylight mode (for daylight shooting) resulted in slightly less noisy images than tungsten mode with tungsten light. I now shoot the camera in daylight mode for daylight with no filter and tungsten mode for tungsten with no filter.

If the ccd's and color filters are similar for the HVX, then the same advice should apply to your camera.

It would make sense to put the chips native balance somewhere in the middle between tungsten and daylight, thanks for the reply

Jason