4k Red Images at IBC

Stephen Williams

"If you can afford a talented cinematographer and a world class post facility and a 4K Sony projector (and the upkeep on it!) you can produce excellent results on a lot of supposedly dodgy formats, or satisfactory results on a high end video camera, or superb results on 35mm film. The cost of all the excellence tends to erode the benefit of using the cheaper format.

I'm afraid I am not much of a fan of manufacturers' "Show Reels" anyway, since they only tend to show footage that comes out particularly well. I'll wait until something comes on HDTV or my local digital-equipped cinema."

Best and most accurate answer I've seen on this board in a long time!!!! Like Politicians running for president, a manufacturers demonstration is not exactly 'real world' nor always accurate.

As prosumer market's former opinion maker, I couldn't figure you so fan of KW's posts! How's the time going so fast? How long has it been since when Jarred Land has entered the Red building?

• Premium Member
... 2k seems to have less color information as well as quite low resoloution. I don't really understand why I dont like the colors, I am just saying what I saw with my own eyes.

Stephen

Red's colorspace and gamut does not change from 2K to 4K. Although I'm still trying to findout exactly what that color gamut is.

Red footatge is made for grading, as all the in camera image changes are stored as metadata, not baked in. So the 4K stuff has better color by the virtue of the fact that better color grading suites and colorist probably worked on it. The 2K stuff, while high rez us in the HD world, in all likelihood, is not going to get same amount of firepower grading it.

• Premium Member
Red's colorspace and gamut does not change from 2K to 4K. Although I'm still trying to findout exactly what that color gamut is.

Red footatge is made for grading, as all the in camera image changes are stored as metadata, not baked in. So the 4K stuff has better color by the virtue of the fact that better color grading suites and colorist probably worked on it. The 2K stuff, while high rez us in the HD world, in all likelihood, is not going to get same amount of firepower grading it.

Hi,

RED at 2k has nowhere near the resoloution or color depth of a Viper IMHO. Red ar 2K would seem to have 1/4 of the resoloution & color, it's very good at 4K, hopefully 60 fps will soon be possible.

Stephen

Edit Looks like it's time to close the thread.