Super Mag

Ryan Ball

• Premium Member

D.O.A. at the prototype stages - I am unaware of any of the prototypes that apparently were functional but suffered from problems in relation to friction, steadiness and issues of stray light, actually being sold to customers.

The only functional external magazines for Super 8 are the Beaulieu SD8/60 models for the Beaulieu 6/7/9008-series. Those were expensive and although allowed again to shoot with 200 feet long reels, they also were already quite big and "robbed" S8 cams of their "native" advantage of being very portable and unsuspicious.

• Premium Member

Well, Paul, allow me to say that your memory only serves you 50% well :D

Kodak indeed offered a external magazine-style cartridge, the Kodak Ektasound design, but it took 200 ft / 60m rather than 400ft / 120m

You can hitch a ride into the past by reading more about the various cartridge designs in this post of mine here - roughly in the middle of it - in the pinned Super 8 FAQ thread.

-Michael

Well, Paul, allow me to say that your memory only serves you 50% well :D

Kodak indeed offered a external magazine-style cartridge, the Kodak Ektasound design, but it took 200 ft / 60m rather than 400ft / 120m

You can hitch a ride into the past by reading more about the various cartridge designs in this post of mine here - roughly in the middle of it - in the pinned Super 8 FAQ thread.

-Michael

Kodak may have offered 400 foot single strand rolls by special order to accomodate owners of Wilcam sound on film news cameras that came out in the 70's as an attempt to compete with 16mm and ENG.

• Premium Member

Indeed. I think I have a list of available film stocks in the 1970s around... There were plenty of third party suppliers then, hence no reason to rely on Kodak for Super 8 film stock in either cartridges, let alone on reels.

I am currently neglecting my activities here on ciny.com alot as I am rather busy with non-film stuff (sorry, Paul, for not coming back immediately as usual, or participating in the other subforums, let alone support you in your Crazy 8 film format that would give Frankenmitchell a whole new dimension B) - what about three-stripe Super 8 Technicolor guided along a 35mm Mitchell fim gate - no need for prisms and stuff like those blue monsters - just expose all three films at one gate. would the optical axis shift be negligible as the3 film reels are slightly side-by-side...?! Hmmm....), but I will be back to film next week with my workload off as I promised Chris Cotrill an new article for Super 8 Today.

I will post if I can find any info on reel-based S8 from the 1970s next week.