Smallville Genesis

glen winter

• Premium Member
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed it! Before this year we shot on film with a package of various panavision cameras including a millineum, an XL and a 435. The transition to HD has been great. I feel the show looks just as good if not better.....

I've been shooting a new Showtime series on the Genesis for the past three weeks and think the image looks great. Though I have mixed feelings on shooting digital for theatrical releases, these newer digital cameras certainly produce great images for TV broadcast.

I'm particularly glad I am getting 35mm depth of field, which better continues the look of the pilot shot in 35mm. We shoot mostly medium-shots, not a lot of close-ups, on a 35mm lens, so it's nice that there is still some fall-off in focus in the background at a T/2.8.

wow:)

Glen Winter it's so great to have you here i love the show and the cinematography in it.

few questions

1- how do you compare the working Pace with genesis vs film? do find digi is faster or film?(what was the pace?)

2- how about the light did you did any changes?

3- with so many cg do you storyboard every episode

what it mean to you shot for TV in term of light, composition, use of closeup vs long shot?

I am watching it now and it looks fine. The show has a very saturated look to it. It does look a little softer than last season. Flesh tones on this show look a little artificial, nothing out of hand but not quite like 5218. In Bankjob, I felt the same way, a little soft and the flesh tones seemed off, inconsistent.

• 2 months later...

I didn't notice the shift to HD. Seems the same to me.

This is actually turning out to be a good season. I was a little worried, but with Lex and Lana out of the way now, the story seems to be moving forward. I'm guessing some serious FX work is coming up with Doomsday!

Cinematography is first rate, as always.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Loved this shot from Friday's show! Beautiful, beautiful.

vlcsnap8442632.jpg

Thanks Tom. Glad your still watching. Our ratings are down a bit this season, with the move to friday nights, but the show has never been better in my opinion. Still loving the Genesis. We have been pushing the boundaries even more this year, and being able to play with different looks on set with the panavision GDP had been a godsend. Its just so quick and easy...

Best

Glen

Thanks Tom. Glad your still watching. Our ratings are down a bit this season, with the move to friday nights, but the show has never been better in my opinion. Still loving the Genesis. We have been pushing the boundaries even more this year, and being able to play with different looks on set with the panavision GDP had been a godsend. Its just so quick and easy...

Best

Glen

Wow, nice image there.

Personally have not checked out this series...will have to make an effort to catch it now.

Best

Glen

Glen, you guys are doing an awesome job.

If I can throw in my measly 2 cents about the series (since I have someone's ear who actually works on it), I think everyone involved seriously, seriously needs to try to switch this show into being a full-fledged Superman show. The audience has grown impatient now, and ratings will keep slipping, no matter how awesome your work is and what is done to tweak the storyline.

If you guys did that, ratings would go to an all-time high.

BTW, I think you guys have a star on your hands with Justin Hartley. Producers were wise to draw him into the series.

Okay, this concludes my little attempt at being a "back seat producer." :lol:

Edited by Tom Lowe

• 3 weeks later...
A lot of people are loving the Genesis for TV. Some of our shows went F-35 because they couldn't get a Genesis package -- they're all out, except for however many they keep in reserve as spares.

- J.S.

They seem pretty similar anyways right? The Genesis and the F35? Sony probably makes the Genesis for Panavision. Or is there any reasons to prefer the Genesis over the F35? I heard a lot of good stuff about the F35.

Unless is the lens mount but I'm sure a F35 could be Panavised.

• Premium Member
They seem pretty similar anyways right? The Genesis and the F35? Sony probably makes the Genesis for Panavision. Or is there any reasons to prefer the Genesis over the F35? I heard a lot of good stuff about the F35.

Unless is the lens mount but I'm sure a F35 could be Panavised.

Indeed, Sony did make the Genesis chips and electronics for Panavision. The F35 is very similar, but not the same chip. They have the same arrangement and number of photosites, the same vertical stripe masking, but they're not interchangeable.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Indeed, Sony did make the Genesis chips and electronics for Panavision. The F35 is very similar, but not the same chip. They have the same arrangement and number of photosites, the same vertical stripe masking, but they're not interchangeable.

It turns out that this is incorrect. The chips are the same, per Andy Romanoff at Panavision. The electronics downstream of the chip differ. Sorry for the error.

-- J.S.

Most cameras can be Panavised with the lens mount and support equipment. At Panavision NY we have the F35, F23 and Genesis. I myself have never done a comparison but the people I work with say they prefer the Genesis saying that the F35 has problems with greens- I didn't ask many details, just more in passing conversation about the F35 and Genesis. Law and Order uses the Genesis while Law and Order Criminal Intent and SVU uses the F35 (although last season they used the SR3, and they even used the SR3 this season something.)

• 4 weeks later...