Gels and Filters

Hi all,

I'm shooting a scene in a hallway with coolwhite florescent lighting and windows down one side letting in a fair amount of daylight. I'm not sure if I've figured out how to get the color temperature right. What I think will work is using daylight film with an FLB filter, is that right or will I end up with a strange color on film?

My second question is if I need to use tungsten balanced lights to brighten up the hall a bit would putting on a 1/2 CTB gel and 1/2 plus green make it match the other lights?

Thanks for your help,

Carol

Hi all,

I'm shooting a scene in a hallway with coolwhite florescent lighting and windows down one side letting in a fair amount of daylight. I'm not sure if I've figured out how to get the color temperature right. What I think will work is using daylight film with an FLB filter, is that right or will I end up with a strange color on film?

My second question is if I need to use tungsten balanced lights to brighten up the hall a bit would putting on a 1/2 CTB gel and 1/2 plus green make it match the other lights?

Thanks for your help,

Carol

I think you need to employ an FLD (instead of FLB) filter to eliminate the blue-green cast from the fluorescents for daylight balanced stock, altough in doing that you will also change the daylight that's coming in through the windows and make it a lot warmer. I can't say for sure as I haven't used an FLD before, so I'm hoping someone more experienced will jump in.

I think you need to look at the light in the hallway and decide which light source is going to be the key light in the scene. If, as you say, there is a good amount of daylight coming in from one direction, why not use that as the key and simply add more ambience (or fill) in the hallway by bouncing something off a white wall or ceiling? If you have tungsten lights, you will need to correct them with full CTB. If you want a warmer look, go for 1/2 CTB. If it's day, it may be better to leave the fluorescents turned off?

I'm quite sure FLD (and FLB) filters are best used in a location where the only (or the main) light is fluorescent. Again, I'd like some opinions on this, as I'm rather new at filtration myself.

My two cents: it sounds like daylight is going to be your main source of light thus your camera should be white balanced to match the daylight and then other lights changed to match the daylight. Will you see the overhead lights or can they be turned off completely?If they can't be turned off or you need to see them you could trying using minus green gel or even doing nothing. It is very possible the daylight will over power the ceiling lights and it won't be an issue.