Gel recommendations

Hey all

I'm prepping for a short film, and there's a scene where I want to create a light that looks like it's bouncing off gold and into the character's faces.

I've been looking through my Lee filter swatch, and found a few I liked, but I thought I'd post here as well to hear if anyone has a personal favourite or recommendation to achieve this look.

The ones I liked in my swatchbook so far are:

- Lee 101 Yellow

- Lee 764 Sun Colour Straw

- Lee 765 Lee Yellow

The scene will take place in a barn, and we're using beams of daylight as a key motivation. This means that any tungsten light incorporated into the scene will feel quite warm. I'm also imagining the gold as a bit warm, with a clear yellow tint.

Any thoughts?

• Premium Member

Theatrical gels were developed for the eye and the color spectrum often isn't film/video friendly, you can get very unpredictable results.

I suggest you try to use the CC series of gels which were specifically developed to be used with film and video. Also see if there's something in Rosco's Storaro series you like, that's another film/video series,.

Hey all

I'm prepping for a short film, and there's a scene where I want to create a light that looks like it's bouncing off gold and into the character's faces.

I've been looking through my Lee filter swatch, and found a few I liked, but I thought I'd post here as well to hear if anyone has a personal favourite or recommendation to achieve this look.

The ones I liked in my swatchbook so far are:

- Lee 101 Yellow

- Lee 764 Sun Colour Straw

- Lee 765 Lee Yellow

The scene will take place in a barn, and we're using beams of daylight as a key motivation. This means that any tungsten light incorporated into the scene will feel quite warm. I'm also imagining the gold as a bit warm, with a clear yellow tint.

Any thoughts?

large Clear glass bowl and water in the bowl then put a bright neon colored paper of your choice under the bowl and light the bowl to reflect the light up in to the actors faces.