Super-8 Symposium!!

Dan Paola

Following on from the relative success of the Flipside Festival which I curated in Plymouth, UK last year (http://flipside.co.nr) I am thinking about possibilities for next years festivities (c May 2009).

One of the features I would love to have would be a symposium type event which would explore the extent of current use of the super-8 format and also discuss its future.

Obviously the event would I hope feature 'experts' from right accross the wonderful world of super-8, at present I'm thinking Giles from Onsuper-8.org, Nathan of Super-8 Cities, Straight-8, someone from Soho Images (since they took over Todd A-O (to discuss where Todds s-8 neg dev facilities might be going), maybe Tony Brakespear from Kodak, maybe someone from a-minima / aaton to discuss their (allegedly) proposed new 8mm camera (yeah fat chance I know), No.W.Here, Super-8 Today and a selection of film-makers who actively use this format.

I'm well keen to progress this - but would like to hear your thoughts first. Would you be interested in the event, or even participating in it? Who do YOU think should be invited to participate? Obviously there are going to be glaring omissions to my list - who are they?

I don't think that anyone's done anything like this recently and it could potentially be something really interesting which might make others take this format a little more seriously - you never know!

I'll do the legwork & the admin etc - just wondering who might be interested or indeed would there be enough interest? I'm looking to publish any results obtained from this research event.

And of course the whole thing would be filmed on ..... you know :D (",)

• Premium Member

The venue seems to be a big challenge. I think Los Angeles would be the perfect place to have it. Likewise everyone else here will think where they live is the perfect place to have it as well. Although LA is the best place.

Small Format Magazine seems to have an annual super-8 symposium tied in with their annual super-8 contest.

• Premium Member

This is an excellent idea, Dan.

It is overdue that a panel discussion and symposium on Super 8 occurs to showcase the possibilities it offers both conventionally as well as in respect to the increasing professionalisation of the format.

I have always maintained that such events are crucially important to raise awareness in the industry about the capabilities of the format. And the more "serious" the setting (nothing against underground indie festivals here ;) ) in discussing the format and the industry, the better the appreciation from Kodak and other stakeholders for it will be.

Having just returned from a trip to LA, the super 8 possibilities that have yet to reach European shores are truly limitless, it seems.

If you need some help, please do feel free to contact me, Dan.

As regards a Aaton Super 8 camera:

I am currently chasing this up with J.P. Beauviala as I once wrote an article and did some planning about how an all-new super 8 camera could look like design-wise back in 2001 (that was in coop with Beaulieu Germany then). With my work on S8 cameras for Super 8 Today and the article series on the history of cameras, I have taken this with up Grenoble based on their 1979 prototype design for a S8 cam. But at this point in time, I have to state clearly that Aaton is incredibly busy launching the Penelope (utterly gourgeous thing!) and will not visit a S8 system for some years.

The Aaton Superette and Aaton Superette Elongate camera rumours that circle around here started as an inside joke between Alessandro Machi and myself (hyperlinks hub here to the original posts).

As it stands, they might actually rather go for an Aaton Titania 65mm design that we also tossed around here, as 65 and 8 are both equally niche yet prolific and in-demand formats.

The bookends of cinematography, so to say :) .

Re. Alex post above:

Alex, the Nomos film awards that Schmalfilm hosts in Berlin have a marketplace in the entry hall of the cinema theatre which they have used so far (but fallen out with last time - so not sure what will happen next year). That is - however - not a symposium as such. Do not mistake this with the BCFI Cine-Forum that also gets editorial space in the magazine, but is independent, despite Schmalfilm authors appearing there as speakers. That is a true symposium with seminars, workshops and 4 days filled with film projection - albeit German-language based. I organised these annual events for 6 years when I was part of the executive team of the BCFI, and that was great fun.

I always hoped that this could be organised in the English language realm, but the scene here isn't as organised as in Germany (at least at it was there).

LA would be great, if not ideal, but UK, too. After all, the Aldwych Hotel here in London has a Super 8 projector set-up in their screening room, as I recently found out to my amazement :blink: .

Re potential guests, Dan:

I would consider inviting Ludwig Draser from Andec, as he has single-handedly kept S8 alive on the Continent more than anyone else by sticking to developing film stocks in his lab - and will probably continue to do so when Todd-AO/SOHO are long forgotten!

You should also consider inviting Alex here, who has done alot for this format here in this very cinematography.com forum!

Cheers,

-Michael

P.S. to Alex: how are you doing after your hairraising experience you wrote about in Super 8 Today? I was actually passing the bridge you stood on when I was in LA, and hope everything has healed or is getting better!

Thank you very much for your feedback - really appreciated!!

I have done a bit of searching and will definitely be able to securing funding to make this proposed symposium happen - provided it is in the UK (perhaps US possibilities could also be explored?). I think the next step is to keep adding to / refining a list of invitees / contributors - Michael thank you so much for your suggestions and YES I'd very like very much to take you up on your offer of help!

I guess one of the biggest tasks is to start spreading the word sooner rather than later - (even though at this stage this event is still in the proposal stage) so that by next spring, everyone will know about it.

What do you think should be the subject of discussion? I thought of focussing it around contemporary usage and looking to the future of the format - is there anything else anyone would like to see discussed instead - or perhaps a change of focus?

I am completely open to all suggestions & would really value your feedback. I'll add to this topic on regular basis to keep it 'active' and will also investigate setting up a social networking site for this event - any preferences?

Thank you again for your feedback and please anyone who is interested in this idea please reply to this topic or get in touch: flipside-festival@blueyonder.co.uk

For now the main questions are:

would you be interested in this event?

who do you think should be invited to contribute?

what do you think should be the main focus of the symposium?

what would be your preferences for setting up a social networking site to enable this event?

Thank you so much again - I'm really determined to make this happen!

Dan :D

• Premium Member

I cannot believe that there isn't more feedback and interest in this thread other than from Alex and myself and Giles from onsuper8.org :blink: .

No one expects hordes of volonteers giving up every spare minute outside work. But at least some feedback and input, folks, on what you would like to see or what you think?!

Hello?

-ML

P.S.: Dan, got your message, am waiting for Giles to send me his e-mail contact so that we have our e-mail addresses to work with outside the rather limited ciny.com messenger. Once I got Giles e-mail, I will come back to you!

Hi

We ran a Super 8 symposium at the Cambridge Super 8 festival last April. It was very interesting and we are planning to put it in our website soon.

For next year festival (30 April-2May) we will do it again as it is always a good opportunity to network and share points of view.

So yes , i will recommend doing one for your festival :) .

Thierry

www.cambridge-super8.org

Perhaps approach Kodak, see if they could present anything on their current filmstocks, future support, ideas concerning the format etc.??

Hi Ian - Have already spoken to Tony Brakespear at Kodak who likes the idea & seems keen to contribute (",)

Hi

We ran a Super 8 symposium at the Cambridge Super 8 festival last April. It was very interesting and we are planning to put it in our website soon.

For next year festival (30 April-2May) we will do it again as it is always a good opportunity to network and share points of view.

So yes , i will recommend doing one for your festival :) .

Thierry

www.cambridge-super8.org

Hi Thierry - thats fantastic! You really should be proud of what's been achieved with the Cambridge Super-8 Festival - can't wait to find out more about the symposium event you had! I'd rather add to discussions around the format than repeat discussions - any pointers? I'm probably thinking a London venue at the moment - but not necessarily! Maybe we should combine forces!!

Hi Dan,

loved the idea! dunno if maybe is a bit far fetched but some people (and I in certain extent) are organising a super8 fest in brazil and we will have a workshop in hand processing. Dunno, maybe it would be nice to have something also for amateur craft of DIY developing/tanks/telecine etc. I think we should broadcast home-processing for the sake of reversal film. Maybe invite Olexandr Kalynichenko for home processing and to unveil the mysteries from behind the rusted iron curtain?

>If u need any hand (dunno which kind) i'd be glad to help (if your symposium is happening in UK, but I can't be of much help if it is in the US because all the crap involved with visas blabla)

cheers

PS: I visited the page of the festival and it's a pity i didn't know about it. I love the idea of 4:3 review and the struggle against the industry dictatorship. REVOLUTION IS NOT A ONE TIME EVENT (A. Lorde)

Following on from the relative success of the Flipside Festival which I curated in Plymouth, UK last year (http://flipside.co.nr) I am thinking about possibilities for next years festivities (c May 2009).

One of the features I would love to have would be a symposium type event which would explore the extent of current use of the super-8 format and also discuss its future.

Obviously the event would I hope feature 'experts' from right accross the wonderful world of super-8, at present I'm thinking Giles from Onsuper-8.org, Nathan of Super-8 Cities, Straight-8, someone from Soho Images (since they took over Todd A-O (to discuss where Todds s-8 neg dev facilities might be going), maybe Tony Brakespear from Kodak, maybe someone from a-minima / aaton to discuss their (allegedly) proposed new 8mm camera (yeah fat chance I know), No.W.Here, Super-8 Today and a selection of film-makers who actively use this format.

I'm well keen to progress this - but would like to hear your thoughts first. Would you be interested in the event, or even participating in it? Who do YOU think should be invited to participate? Obviously there are going to be glaring omissions to my list - who are they?

I don't think that anyone's done anything like this recently and it could potentially be something really interesting which might make others take this format a little more seriously - you never know!

I'll do the legwork & the admin etc - just wondering who might be interested or indeed would there be enough interest? I'm looking to publish any results obtained from this research event.

And of course the whole thing would be filmed on ..... you know :D (",)

Edited by Richardson Leao

and i wonder what is the value of a someone talk about a camera that would never exist... like Bush's mission to the moon... Mars and beyond... dunno, but if i'd organise a symposium in neuroscience for example (my field), i'd actually invite passionate people that actually produce data (or have ideas) that would revolutionise neuroscience, either to broadening it (by making it more ACCESSIBLE) or by inventing techniques that permit the researcher to explore further nuances of the brain. And as we are researchers that use public money, we are always careful with methods that promise and cost too much

and i wonder what is the value of a someone talk about a camera that would never exist... like Bush's mission to the moon... Mars and beyond... dunno, but if i'd organise a symposium in neuroscience for example (my field), i'd actually invite passionate people that actually produce data (or have ideas) that would revolutionise neuroscience, either to broadening it (by making it more ACCESSIBLE) or by inventing techniques that permit the researcher to explore further nuances of the brain. And as we are researchers that use public money, we are always careful with methods that promise and cost too much

Hi - thanks for your comments - I think I understand what you mean regarding the camera - there have been various 'rumours' circulating for years about new cameras in the 8mm gauge (anyone remember the a-cam one?), and I think inviting people in the know to speculate about possible developments in this area might provide an exciting thread to the event, providing a counterpoint to the consideration of the format in industrial / artistic / educational / recreational / archival guises (for example). Understand your reasons for advising rigour & thanks v. much for your input!

(",)

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Thierry - thats fantastic! You really should be proud of what's been achieved with the Cambridge Super-8 Festival - can't wait to find out more about the symposium event you had! I'd rather add to discussions around the format than repeat discussions - any pointers? I'm probably thinking a London venue at the moment - but not necessarily! Maybe we should combine forces!!

Hi there,

Our industry panel can be seen there : http://vimeo.com/1876162

it is a good hour long.

We will have another one in Cambridge the 2nd of May 2009 - The topic next year may be "Super 8, a tool for filmmakers and artists".

Anybody who wants to join forces or take part can contact us directly (details on our site www.cambridge-super8.org )