Visual FX opinions Needed

Allen Achterberg

Here's a clip from a sequence that I've recently shot, hopefully the whole project soon to come. But for now, I'd like some opinions on whether or not there is a problem with the A-10 Warthog spinning in the shot. It is a live action composite, the A-10 I got from an Air Show that I shot with the HVX-200 in 720p. Had to blow it up a little to the 1080P project for the composite.

PLEASE WATCH IN HIGH QUALITY MODE

Thanks!

Sound is a bit hot, so turn it down low. this is all a work in progress

Edited by Allen Achterberg

In fact, the feedback thus far shows the the jet appears to be flying upward instead of overhead which is what it's supposed to be. this is a live action composite, and the camera is at the correct perspective but I can't figure out how to fix the perspective thing. any ideas?

Like in the Aviator, you need to add clouds for perspective. I think it looks fine, I'd also add the sound a lot earlier, unless there's a scripted reason to surprise the audience.

Hope that helps!

(I want to see the final show!)

- G

• Premium Member

Looks OK, sky whiteout is a bit much, needs clouds for depth. Roll is a bit silly.

If you just want something for it to be doing, I've seen news footage of A-10s pulling very hard in one direction, releasing decoy flares, then do a maximum-rate 180 degree roll and pull the other way to get clearance from the flares.

You will then need to reduce the sky brightness to make the flares visible, or you could just not do the flares and pretend they're there, just invisible.

P

when I plugged in some footage where there's no rolling it looks too flat and not really convincing. I will keep trying though. I can't grab just random jet footage, I need HD and 24p stuff or I'll run into some head-aches, more so than as it is. I'll try giving the fog some texture. Cant use clouds but fog with texture should work.

thanks