Lenses for Arri IIB

Erik Vilhelm

• Premium Member

This is the only one I found that wasn't an off brand or premium lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arriflex-Zeiss-8MM-Wid...id=p3286.c0.m14

Schneiders are maybe the most common for that camera. They're "so-so to good" lenses. They used to go for $100.00 each in good to excellent condition. Since RED has come out, they go for $300.00 to $1,000.00. However, with the economy tanking, the price of all film gear is coming down. I liked them when I had them on my IIB, before I sold it off. They're softish but certainly usable.

This is the only one I found that wasn't an off brand or premium lens:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Arriflex-Zeiss-8MM-Wid...id=p3286.c0.m14

Schneiders are maybe the most common for that camera. They're "so-so to good" lenses. They used to go for $100.00 each in good to excellent condition. Since RED has come out, they go for $300.00 to $1,000.00. However, with the economy tanking, the price of all film gear is coming down. I liked them when I had them on my IIB, before I sold it off. They're softish but certainly usable.

This Zeiss you found seems to be for Arri 16mm. Does it cover 35mm also? In that case, I have a Zeiss zoom 10-100mm (for 16mm cams), do you think that one works as well?

• Premium Member

Unfortunately RED has driven up the price of all good 35mm glass, just as predicted and as Paul mentioned. I never paid more than $450 each for my full set of Cooke Speed Panchro II/III's but now the going price is as high as $1500 each. I've got a nice little Angenieux 35-140mm compact zoom I paid $250 for...there's an identical lens on eBay right now...asking price? $4995!

If I needed to start from scratch I'd investigate hardfront converting my Arri 2B to use quality still camera glass rather than MP glass, at least there's no insane market like the market for RED lenses going on there. Another option might be the older 25-250mm Angenieux zooms, they're not held in high regard but good ones aren't too bad and they can still be had from reputable dealers for around $1000-1500. Another zoom lens to look for is the 20-120 Angenieux. They were held in higher esteem in their day than the 25-250's and a lot of them spent their working life on BNCR's shooting sitcoms and the like.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
I've got a nice little Angenieux 35-140mm compact zoom I paid $250 for...there's an identical lens on eBay right now...asking price? $4995!

Wow, time to cash out the glass and buy into the stock market. ;-)

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Wow, time to cash out the glass and buy into the stock market. ;-)

I've been trying to figure out a way of creating some sort of a derivative based on my lenses' asset value where I can leverage their value thirty to one or so. Then I can ruin my part of the economy gambling with other peoples money...just like the SOB's on Wall Street did. :angry:

• Premium Member

Hmmm -- I don't think it works that way. The idea behind derivatives is that they're made out of so-called assets that are actually worthless. Does anybody have any sub-prime lenses? Would you have to use a zoom to leverage it 30:1? ;-)

-- J.S.