Workflow: Sony EX3 and Avid Media Composer?

Matthew Francis

Hey all,

I recently purchased the Sony PMW EX3 and am loving it. My problem is this. I want to edit my footage. I have Final Cut Studio 1 which is apparently incompatible with the SxS cards. I'm looking to make the jump to Avid Media Composer, but am unsure if it supports SxS Technology. Can anybody enlighten me?

Much appreciated,

Matt

Hey all,

I recently purchased the Sony PMW EX3 and am loving it. My problem is this. I want to edit my footage. I have Final Cut Studio 1 which is apparently incompatible with the SxS cards. I'm looking to make the jump to Avid Media Composer, but am unsure if it supports SxS Technology. Can anybody enlighten me?

Much appreciated,

Matt

The XDCAM EX Clip Browsing Software allows you to work with clips created with XDCAM EX devices. After installing this application on your computer, you can use its intuitive graphical user interface to organise your clips by copying, moving and deleting them. You can also perform format conversions, preview the clips and view or add additional metadata. This application supports data that is compatible with the XDCAM EX format.

New features in Version 2.0:

Avid AAF export ? converts to OP1A to OP1Atom and MXF files in a single step export that allows files to then drag and drop into the AVID bin- works on both PC and MAC

DV conversion to AVI and Raw files

Improved Copy with CRC check

Improved look and feel GUI

Improved metadata search - handling and input

Improved essence mark handling - add/delete

Full screen display with on screen playback control display

Still frame grab ? grabs native resolution stills to BMP files

JKL control

Here is the Link; http://www.sonybiz.net/biz/view/ShowConten...=BC+Tools+XDCAM

Mark August

Panavision Hollywood

• Premium Member

The EX3 is my favorite camera to come out in ten years. Simply nothing near it for the money, nor cameras costing 20 times. It was nice to see how well it performed in aside by side with a F23:

http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awi...as_ex1_f23_red/

Still a few software compatibilities to get through like all new equipment, but worth it for this camera. Yes get the software, and with it you can do what you need in FCP until the next release of FCP.

• 4 years later...
Can Avid split BPAV .MP4 files from Sony PMW-EX3?
You may have the need to import Sony PMW-EX3 MP4 recordings to Avid Media Composer for editing, can Avid split BPAV .MP4 files from Sony PMW-EX3? The answer is no. As Avid Media Composer best supported video format is DNXHD codec MOV format, it can't supports BPAV .MP4 files from Sony PMW-EX3 natively. According our multi-testing, Avid doesn't do Sony PMW-EX3 MP4 clips. You can't edit Sony Cyber-shot MP4 clips natively in Avid Media Composer directly.

Solution: Import Sony PMW-EX3 MP4 to Avid MC on Mac for easier editing

Since Avid Media Composer natively supported video format is Avid DNxHD, thus, you should transcode Sony PMW-EX3 MP4 to Avid DNxHD with this professional Mac MP4 to Avid DNxHD Converter. The MP4 to Avid Converter for Mac comes with an optimized format preset for Avid editing software, which enables users to convert Sony Cyber-shot MP4 to DNxHD MOV for using in Avid Media Composer directly.
A relevant thread that talks about the Sony PMW-EX3 and Avid Media Composer Workflow. The mostly important is that it offers the detailed solution for you. Check it.

• 1 month later...

Sony PMW-EX3 follows on from the successful launch of the new PMW-EX1 and offers all the great features of the PMW-EX1 in a new semi-shoulder design.

EX3 records mp4 video using MPEG-2 code, "MPEG-2 Long GOP" is a mature codec which enables users to record stunning-quality HD video and audio with highly efficient, reliable data compression, but it is not an editing codec, so it is a big problem when loading or importing Sony PMW-EX3 mp4 clips into your Mac system.

The easy Solution is here: fast way editing Sony PMW-EX3 MP4 videos on Mac