how is this interview background lit?

• Premium Member

He doesn't have any kind of kicker on him. It looks to me like they sat him in his house, which has blue curtains. They put a small light on the wall to create that gradient behind the plant. They pulled the curtain shut so it's a backlit block of color. Then I think they just have a kino or a tungsten unit with a chimera pretty much beside camera and a foot or 2 above his head.

That said, it's a pretty boring interview setup, IMO. One can do much better, even with small kit and little time.

He doesn't have any kind of kicker on him. It looks to me like they sat him in his house, which has blue curtains. They put a small light on the wall to create that gradient behind the plant. They pulled the curtain shut so it's a backlit block of color. Then I think they just have a kino or a tungsten unit with a chimera pretty much beside camera and a foot or 2 above his head.

That said, it's a pretty boring interview setup, IMO. One can do much better, even with small kit and little time.

oppps....wrong link...yeah, that int. set up is pretty boring.

if you click on link, but look to the right of the video screen, you will see a bunch of other clip stills. some have a studio lit blue background...these are actually what i am asking about. (sorry i can't seem to get the link for these videos).

thanks.

do you think it's blue backdrop with kicker coming up from down below?

or is it some sort of blue screen with kicker lighting from behind the screen?

thanks for any suggestions...

http://link.aetv.com/services/link/bcpid14.../bctid145260273

goro

It's a blue backdrop with an unceremonious light blasting a hot spot behind the subject. It must be fairly close because of the rapid falloff. The lighting on all of the "talent" isn't great as it's fairly flat with little backlight rimming them. But, every lighting example is a choice. Maybe this is what the Director of this project asked for.

It's a blue backdrop with an unceremonious light blasting a hot spot behind the subject. It must be fairly close because of the rapid falloff. The lighting on all of the "talent" isn't great as it's fairly flat with little backlight rimming them. But, every lighting example is a choice. Maybe this is what the Director of this project asked for.

thanks for all the replies...i appreciate it.

brian, what exactly is an 'unceremonious light'...and where do you think the light is placed?

thanks a lot.