Hi.

I am looking at buying a new camera. I will be using it to film surf films/documentry and also alot of scenic landscapes. I have previously been filming on small cameras like the sony fx1 and now want to upgarde to something with alot better quality. I am prepared to spend anywhere upto $30-$35k for the camera.

I have been looking at the Red one?

Any advice would be great because im a little lost right now.

Thanks

Owen

• Premium Member

A full red package might be slightly beyond your limit (once you add in sticks and the like and depending on what lenses you buy). Not knowing what you have now makes it difficult to really asses full package shots. Of course, if you're just talking about the camera w/o all the other equipment for a package, then you can get a RED.

There is also the line of Panasonic shoulder mount HD cameras recording to P2 such as http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/4899...d.html#includes the HPX500 which might be a good investment; again, lens for it and support etc might put you over-budget and it's not really in the same ball game as a RED (different intent, this is much more a broadcast camera as opposed to a cine camera, though you could, in theory use either for either. ) Also there is the Sony XDCam System,

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5542..._CAMCORDER.html

which I like because it records to disc and therefor you have a way of archiving which for something like a Documentary shoot is very useful. I forget, off hand, the shelf-life of the discs, but it should be suitable to keep for awhile without worry you'll loose the data.

Of course for 30K you could get a nice S16mm package, like an Arri SR3, and Aaton XTR, or even a 35mm Package such as a Arri BL4, a Moviecam Super American etc. The problem of film for doco work is the stock of course, and the problem with RED is often the runtime if you're working with just the CF cards.

Also, all of this is assuming you want to stay HD. Hope it in some way helps.

Thanks Adrian. I have a total of $50k which i was hoping would get me the camera, tripod and small crane to get started, and later on i was going to buy extra lenses ect ect. I didnt really want to go film because ive never shot in it before and have no experience in it but i am willing to learn.

• Premium Member

Personally, I find film quite forgiving. But a lot of this depends on the style of shoots you're most likely to encounter. with 50K I am assuming this is more of a business than a personal expense; so once you arrive at the type/stlye of shoot you're most likely to encounter.

I know you mention nature/surf/doco, but what of beyond that? How can this camera make money for you?

Once you figure that you'll be in a better spot to compart/contrast kits. Neither film nor the RED is really suited, in my opinion, for documentary due to the limited record times you get on both. They'd both do wonderfully with landscapes; I think film would have an edge in latitude, red in resolution, and HD would blow the skies more-likely than not.

I would not recommend buying a camera. Especially Video unless you are okay with good odds of financial loss. Lenses and Tripod heads hold their value pretty good. Video Camera's do not. Film camera's hold their value much better than video, but finding a buyer is not easy. Especially dont rush into buying. next month something will come out and you will wonder why you didnt wait. Research.

Buy the Best Lenses you can afford, same goes for a tripod head. Those in my opinion come before a camera body be it film or digital. Red might prove to be a bigger head ache than you'd like.

I'd suggest you get good lenses and a good head, and learn how to use them. dont rely on the newest camera body to give you stunning images or better quality. You can do a lot with a little.

If you are taking a loan out for this specifically think very hard about it. dont rush into it.

and Owen, you might find that Film is a little easier to get good images out of! You should at least shoot some film. "Dont put the film an a pedestal"

Ok thanks guys. Im going to do alot of research and hopefully purchase by next march. I need to buy rather than rent because filming surfing can never be planned, waves can come at anytime so i have to be ready.

I have been looking at the Arri sl3? i think thats it? Do you think someone with no knowledge in film could master a camera like this? I really like the film look and it seems like alot af action film makers are using these cameras.

Thanks

Owen