how to light this night ext. scene?

i'm hoping to shoot a scene with kids hanging out/sleeping under bridge during night time (using panansonic HD camera-170).

there is basically no electricity in this location...

how would you go about trying to light this?

is there a battery operated light you would use?

thanks for all suggestions.

• Premium Member

If you're not using too many lights, you could also get a power inverter and run it off of the car. I think that'll max out around 1000W, though, so a Genny is a much better bet or a location change.

If you want how to make it look "good," well that's all based on how you want it to look.

There is also Day For Night, but I never find that believable myself.

• Premium Member

I've never seen a car inverter for more than 500W myself.

Anyway, under a bridge like that could work in DFN as long as you keep things fairly confined so you don't have to see sky or things lit by hard direct sun. A cloudy day or dawn/dusk would work.

• Premium Member
Though I bet if you tried it you could also light a cigarette from the fire it'd start...

Astute observation. ;)

Anyway, back to the bridge at night. Without seeing it I would be inclined to recommend day for night since it kind of sounds like a proper generator would be out of the budget. With certain scenes, it's quite easy to pull off. This, being covered and potentially free from lots of background, may be one of them. Seeing sky and lots of lit background are the things that really kill DFN.

HELLO , SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH, ONE WAY VERY CHEAP TO DO IT, IS GO THERE WHIT TWO OR TREE CARS AND 12 X 12 BUTERFLY , SO YOU CAN USE LIKE ATMOSPHERE LIGHT, YOU CAN T RENT A VERY CHEAP POCKET PAR DAY LIGHT 200 WHIT BATERY FOR WORK LIKE KEY LIGHT AND BACK LIGHT, FOG HELP YOU, I HOPE THIS COMENT GIVE A INDEPENDENT WAY TO DO IT .

marianomonti@gmail.com

www.marianomonti.com

I can't believe I'm saying this, but you could do DFN. I definitely don't advise you to do DFN, because it tends to look fake, even when it's done correctly it doesn't look very real. But if you don't have a generator then you may not have any other choice.