Camera Operator Reel

G McMahon

Hello all,

My agent called me about an operator position on a series.

I am currently assembling a reel for the DP I suspect. I am thinking of two short quicktimes.

The first being a montage of various shots showing my compositions, eye, movement and handheld work. The second being just a longer take of following an actors performance on a long lens.

Would this be the best way to sell myself? Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,

• Premium Member

I don't think that DPs care that much about seeing operator reels. If you do create one, make sure that it's first class all the way. I would make it more about who I had worked with, rather than difficult shot selection. I think that most DPs on a series look for operators with extensive on set experience. Someone who can communicate well with the actors, various directors and crew. You're the front man for the camera department, the actual operating is somewhat less important than running the show imho.

Good luck, JT

• Premium Member
the actual operating is somewhat less important than running the show imho.

While I agree that communicating with the actors and crew is important, I don't think it's more important than the actual operating. Having said that, I don't have an operating reel. I have a steadicam reel, but have never done a conventional reel. I probably should, but most of my work is both conventional and steadicam, so if they see that I can compose a nice shot while doing steadicam I kind of figure they know that I can do the same without the rig on.

• Premium Member

I find that anything an experienced operator puts on a reel is going to look pretty great. (otherwise why do one?) What I want to hear from the other cinematographers they've worked with is: How well does this person find a nice frame when the actors / dolly grip miss their marks? How's their level of patience and attitude after being chained to the camera for 14 hours? How do they interact with the cast and crew? Of course the most important question: Do they have a good sense of humor? These are the things I care about on a TV series. A film would be slightly different. JT

I'm not a big advocate of operator's reels. Work on good shows with people I respect, I'll talk to them and find out what I need to know. Be a good listener in the interview. Ask questions that show you are thinking about the project you are up for.

Hello all,

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately, due to my lack of experience, I cannot do allot of the things suggested. I haven't operated on long form drama. The only thing I have done is operating for myself DPing low budget TVC's, corporates and TV shows.

Thanks