Moving To SLC, Utah. Looking to make connections.

• Premium Member

Good luck with that. I moved there right after I graduated and couldn't get on anything. I've had an easier time in LA.

If you happen to be Mormon you may get on some of their productions. They make quite a lot of TV and films but won't even consider a non-member for crew.

Chris is right, there's not a lot unless you want to work in Mollywood. I can't convince the wife to move to L.A. so I'm stuck trying to find work here.

There is work though, and it's actually picking up a little bit with the new legislation for tax incentive to bring productions back to Utah. There's a ton of freebie work, but it'd be impossible to be a carrier DP.

I'd register on the Utah film commission, I've got a few gigs from there. But as for DP gigs there's not a lot, and you'll have to fight me for them,.. ha ha. Shoot me a message when you get here, it's always good to meet new people.

- Greg

• Premium Member
There is work though, and it's actually picking up a little bit with the new legislation for tax incentive to bring productions back to Utah. There's a ton of freebie work, but it'd be impossible to be a carrier DP.

That's nice to hear. It is a great area and I'd be living there if I could do the same work as I do here. I do scope for work there since my Dad lives there. I could stay with him and work as a local for a change of scenery. Thus far, though, I haven't had the opportunity.

I can't convince the wife to move to L.A. so I'm stuck trying to find work here.

Funny, my wife spent a good portion of her adolescence living in the SLC area, and we both have no desire to ever live there. Guess I got lucky ;)

Occasionally I'll look for work out there to have an excuse to visit two of my brothers who live in the Provo area...and yeah, the job market is pretty sparse where production is considered. Maybe you can score a job on the new Book of Mormon movie, just look at the credits for the DP who shot the first one. Certainly not a Mormon himself.

I like Salt Lake because I can carry a firearm, and own guns. I'd sure miss them if I moved back to Cali. Oh and I'd miss my family.

Salt Lake is getting more like ("like" mind you) LA every year, more crime, gangs, violent crimes, car chases, traffic jams, people, and yes film,.. ha ha.

- G

I lived in Utah for five years. Would I go back? Never.

For all of the reasons Greg Johnson mentions. Plus I can't accept Utah's gun culture, where Greg embraces it (that's fine to each his own.) I also couldn't tolerate the near cheerleader style love affair with the death penalty. I actually attended a Utah execution, it was for for William Andrews the Hi-Fi killer.

Plus this is the most Republican of states, voting for Bush in 2004 by the widest margin in the USA, even bigger than Texas!! Not to mention the states total lack of tolerance for homosexuals.

I made some good friends there, but the culture and values are so far from my own I could never go back.

When I was there from 1990-1995 there was very little if any film work to speak of. My buddies and I where into corporate video. I guess film work has increased some what since I left.

On the bright side, houses sure are a lot cheaper in SLC than they are in LA. No question about that!

R,

We embrace the gay culture here, I mean this is where all 3 High School Musicals were shot,.. ha ha. Just kidding.

But seriously, SLC has a huge gay community, and a huge gay pride week, with gay pride parade. I have a lot of Gay friends. Salt Lake is very tolerant.

But yeah, I didn't mean to start a political debate, sorry. Thanks for being chill about our differences.

- Greg

We embrace the gay culture here, I mean this is where all 3 High School Musicals were shot,.. ha ha. Just kidding.

But seriously, SLC has a huge gay community, and a huge gay pride week, with gay pride parade. I have a lot of Gay friends. Salt Lake is very tolerant.

But yeah, I didn't mean to start a political debate, sorry. Thanks for being chill about our differences.

- Greg

The High School Musicals where shot there? I didn't know that, interesting.

I think though that when 49 states have legalized same sex marriage, we know who that last hold out will be :D

R,

The High School Musicals where shot there? I didn't know that, interesting.

I think though that when 49 states have legalized same sex marriage, we know who that last hold out will be :D

R,

Well one of the last states at least.

Yeah a few years ago I showed up to shoot a DVD feature for some Disney film called "High School - The Musical". Once we started shooting Kenny Ortega and the kids dancing I was like, "this is the lamest thing EVER! What is Disney thinking?" Then a few months later it was all the rage. They shot them all at East High,.. the same school name as in the movie. It's just up the street. The 2nd one was shot in Southern Utah for the most part, but the other two were all shot here in SLC from what I've seen. But then who really cares right?

10 years ago we had 3 or 4 network shows being filmed here, and many movies, like Dumb and Dumber.

Anyway, tons of movies have parts shot here, especially the Salt Flats,.. like on Pirates 3.

I'll shut up now, I need to go to the store and get some delicious 3.2% beer.

How about this, a friend of mine who works in a video prod. dept. for the military offered me a job in Dugway, UT, ha ha

It's the kind of cameraman job that won't get you anywhere, so I turned it down, but there is work there.

Worth checking out if your just wanting to get into production of some kind.