Super 8 transfer to HD

Rolando Fernandez

Beautiful! The colour looked great but the black and white was wonderful!

I'm sure your clients were very happy with this footage. Can you tell us a little a bit about it? Who did your dev and telecine etc.?

Cheers,

Andy

This sure does not look high definition to me but using high definition is probably the best way of preserving the quality of 8mm because of the incompatibility of the formats due to irregular grain patterns.

I good argument could also be made that the best way to transfer high definition video is to use 70mm film. But such a transfer would never even come near to 70mm film quality.

• Site Sponsor

Looks great, I disagree that it does not look "HD" as "HD" is not only dull over clean imagery it can also have texture and meet the resolution and color specs. Also it has to be pro-8 and the Millenium is one of the best telecine machines ever made.

-Rob-

What you call texture is in actuality simply noise which is an artifact that damages picture quality. This does not mean that texture is unacceptable but in my opinion the texture to be considered high definition must be as fine as possible. 8mm simply has to course of a texture pattern to be considered high definition and this is because the texture masks whatever fine detail exsts in the picture. 16mm on the otherhand might pass for high definition.

You may be in fact confusing high definition HDTV with enhanced definition EDTV. When comparing the picture quality of a crummy analog interlaced television which has a notorius screen door effect and is littered with black scanning lines EDTV with its fully progressive 480 lines of resolution can often pass for high definition especially when it is projected at 60 frames per second on a Plasma television. But EDTV is not high definition.

It definitely looks HD to me. "Noise" is related to electronic image (video) but what we see here is not any noise at all, but Super8 "grain" (E 64T I guess). The B/W part of the video and it's definition says it all...

Edited by Miguel Loredo

• Site Sponsor
What you call texture is in actuality simply noise which is an artifact that damages picture quality. the picture. 16mm on the otherhand might pass for high definition.

You may be in fact confusing high definition HDTV with enhanced definition EDTV.

Clearly you and I will never agree, even though you are completely wrong :lol: Film grain is not noise it's beauty and i know the difference between hdtv and ed. Furthermore 16mm is a superior origination medium for both 1080P Hd and 2k.

-Rob-

It looks like there's both film grain as well as digital artifacting from compressing the image for the web. I'd like to see a better quality file format.

BTW: The footage looks incredible! I'd also like to know how much the transfer cost.

Edited by John Moore

If I can learn to replicate that b&w quality, I will be a happy man! So I too am curious to know what he shot on.

Rolandodo--donde estas? Cual pelicula usaste?

I really, REALLY loved it, but he did make one mistake:

That bride had RIDICULOUSLY long toes, and I doubt she was happy with that aspect of the footage.

(I'm a real romantic, can't you tell?)