Twitter of Cinematographers

Spencer Hutchins

So I've really been wanting to find some cinematographers on Twitter (www.twitter.com). It's an online social network in which user updates can be notified to their 'followers' instantly via text. I myself would love getting Twitter updates to my phone of something new someone learned on set that day, or a connection someone made.

If anyone is already connected to this site, or wants to be, let me know and lets get this started! :P

http://twitter.com/spencerhutchins

-Spencer

• 4 months later...

Once you find enough people, you might want to publish it somewhere, if people do not object. I am part of the video game development community, and someone has put together a similar list (although composing of games industry folk as opposed to Cinematographers). It's been a great tool for finding people who are working on projects I'd like to keep my eye on. :)

Edited by Aaron Canaday

So I've really been wanting to find some cinematographers on Twitter (www.twitter.com). It's an online social network in which user updates can be notified to their 'followers' instantly via text. I myself would love getting Twitter updates to my phone of something new someone learned on set that day, or a connection someone made.

If anyone is already connected to this site, or wants to be, let me know and lets get this started! :P

http://twitter.com/spencerhutchins

-Spencer

Hi there!

http://twitter.com/filmcastlive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

There are a lot of writers/directors/and actors who have twitter accounts, but not a whole lot of DP's, I even went to the extent of asking Jason Reitman on Twitter when Eric Steelberg would be getting an account, with no response. I suppose I could just ask him on here. Haha, ah well, here's my account, lots of pictures, and updates from set!

@seanbagley

or

http://www.twitter.com/seanbagley

• 5 months later...

Despite MASSIVE media marketing of Twitter, the only thing I see in it that makes it useful is with famous cinematographers (of the Deakins, Hurlbut, Pfister calibre, pretty much no one here) who can now be followed by news outlets and fans for tidbits of mostly useless information.

Sorry for the run-on.

Otherwise, it is nigh near useless. No one CARES what I am doing at any given moment, eating food, drinking coffee, using the men's room. Who cares what I do? Until I become famous, I can't see why anyone anywhere in the world would want to follow me, for any reason.

No one CARES what I am doing at any given moment, eating food, drinking coffee, using the men's room. Who cares what I do? Until I become famous, I can't see why anyone anywhere in the world would want to follow me, for any reason.

Actually Karl I would like to know the exact moments you start and end, eating food, drinking coffee, and using the men's room. Please start twittering these events right away.

R,

Can I load 35mm on your next shoot then? Or run it to the lab?

I'd be happy to twitter those things, and forge Canadian credentials in order to do so!

Oh, and, I swear, I won't mention a single customary unit the whole time, except of course film lengths in feet (right?)

Can I load 35mm on your next shoot then? Or run it to the lab?

Well, unfortunately I am using a new system for this now, trained monkeys. My animal trainer on Dogfather was watching the film loader do his job on the set, and then asked me if her two monkeys could give it a try, I said sure. Lo and behold the monkeys where much faster. So I fired the loader on the spot. The monkeys also did a much better job of writing up the labels.

Next problem was getting it to the lab, this didn't go so well. The monkeys crashed the van like 5-6 times. And to my shock production insurance does not cover a vehicle if you allow monkeys to drive it!

R,

• Premium Member
Well, unfortunately I am using a new system for this now, trained monkeys. My animal trainer on Dogfather was watching the film loader do his job on the set, and then asked me if her two monkeys could give it a try, I said sure. Lo and behold the monkeys where much faster. So I fired the loader on the spot. The monkeys also did a much better job of writing up the labels.

Next problem was getting it to the lab, this didn't go so well. The monkeys crashed the van like 5-6 times. And to my shock production insurance does not cover a vehicle if you allow monkeys to drive it!

R,

Hang on; does it specifically state that all drivers must be human, or anthropoid?

I've often wondered if places that boast their products are "Untouched by Human hands" get around it that way.

Hmm. I wonder if monkeys get peanut allergies like us. Could be an insurance nightmare.

What's worse: A drunk driver, an idiot driver, or an actual trained monkey?

Howabout the guy that got the car stolen with the film inside outside of the lab?

If you're running film, you oughta have it handcuffed to your arm in a big case, so at least if it goes you're going with it. I'm actually paranoid about this. When I have film in the car, I have a note, the windows up, in case I'm killed the film still has a reasonable chance of getting where it is going.