Programs for IPhone for AC's

Guest Blain Thrush

Guest Jake Dunkelberger

I just got an IPhone and i heard there are some great apps that you can download for the IPhone. Is there any that i should get and curious about different people's suggestions for Apps. ( Which ones are good and which suck.) I heard there are Depth of field charts and sun position charts.

Thanks

David Eubank has apparently finished up an iPhone version of Pcam, as per a recent announcement on his website:

http://www.davideubank.com/

I've previously used Pcam and Pcine on my Palm and they were fantastic, so that's the biggest film application I've been waiting for. Other theoretically useful applications I have which were free include:

iSee4K - does a handful of calculations for using the Red One camera including storage space at different resolutions

Dual Level Lite - bubble level

Units - converts from one type of unit to another (cm to inches, etc.)

AirSharing - allows you to keep and view documents on your iPhone

FiatLux - turns phone into a very weak flashlight

Mobile News - various news items off the AP Wire

There are also a handful of programs that allow you to use the iPhone as a slate, but I haven't looked at them. Does anybody have a slate program they use or prefer?

• Premium Member

It may be the same program as the bubble level one Mike mentions, but a friend of mine has one that is a bubble level, linear levels, and a clinometer all rolled into one. The clinometer is the part I think is pretty cool.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Jake Dunkelberger

definitely keep me updated on the camera log program. I would love to see one of those come out for the iPHone. I wish i knew how to write programs for the iPhone.

Nah, it doesn't appear Apple has a way for software developers to use the sensors. They seem to only recognize light and dark in a broad sense. They don't seem to be useful for fine delineation in degrees of light and dark.

Thought of something to add. There is a light measuring sensor built into the Iphone that helps dim the screen down or up for easy viewing, based on the amount of light. I wonder if there is a way to tap into it?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

pCam update:

Subject: pCAM for iPhone update

Date: Thursday, 15 January 2009 11:40:44 PM EST

To: biz9@me.com

You are receiving this message because you asked to be notified when the pCAM version for the iPhone would be

released.

It is close to being finished with all 14 apps (calculations) bundled into one and I HOPE to have it in the App Store in

February.

To satisfy user demand I had wanted to release with just the first 4 apps, but I ran into iPhone memory problems and for

the past 7 weeks have been dealing with workarounds for iPhone's poor memory management. Once I discovered the

memory issues I felt I had to make sure it could even handle all of the apps and that is why I'm waiting for all to be

completed. I just hired another programmer who is working every day on it so I'm optimistic.

The iPhone was designed to handle simple apps that do one or two simple things, but pCAM has 14 apps with graphics, a

Field of View Preview with Open GL illustrations, several format and aperture pickers, custom CoC, custom filters and

custom formats, so it is dense. The iPhone device itself has memory leaks from other built-in apps that run in the

background and after a while it runs out of memory and crashes. If you've played around with many of the other iPhone

apps I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I apologize that it has taken much longer than expected and I hope to have it finished soon. Believe me, I've spent 6

months and $12,000 already and I'm ready for it to be done!

Thanks for your patience.

David Eubank

That's it folks, just got the email this morning, sounds like it's going to be one hell of a program, after all, I used pCam & pCine for years... this time I WILL be buying it

Thanks to David Eubank for your time and efforts for a great program!

Yes I got this email also. I was wondering what was taking so long. That's an interesting and unexpected development.

Being a 4.5x2.4" 4.7 ounce mobile phone. The iPhone has extremely limited resources. The iPhone only has 128MB of memory, the average computer has around 1 - 2 GB of memory.

Some of the built in applications such as the phone, SMS, email, and iPod all stay active in the background. Which means they always take away a bit of the crucial 128MB from the main application that's running at the time. These apps need to stay active so that when you receive a phone call, the phone switches to the phone app and you can answer the call, or when you receive a text message the message is displayed, and when the phone receives an email its able to notify you.

David said he's had problems with memory leaks from these applications which means they are not efficiently using their memory allocation. So his application has to be extremely memory efficient cleaning up old and unused processes and freeing space so that the app can continue without using up all of the available memory and crashing.

I'm glad David is extending the effort. Looks like it will be a really good app.

• 2 months later...