Looking for info on a 35mm Viewer/editing (?) machine

Chris Millar

Hello,

found this the other day and would like some info as to what exactly it is, seems to be at least a viewer for 35mm film (scope even) - but what exactly was its full purpose and function ?

along with optical there is mention of 'magnetic' on the faders, which makes me think 16mm or 70mm but it appears to be 35mm, unless it has 14" tape sync something or other ?

Maybe there are some users here who may have operated one of these in the days ?

thanks,

chris

n759894202_1656666_7354.jpg

n759894202_1656667_7593.jpg

n759894202_1656671_5784.jpg

n759894202_1656669_8058.jpg

n759894202_1656670_8280.jpg

n759894202_1656668_7824.jpg

That's a VERY small KEM flatbed 35mm film editing machine. I own 2 full sized KEMs one with a 'scope head and an Academy Standard head the other with a Widescreen head. I've never seen one that small before though. It may be purpose built for editing trailers or just so someone could use it in small spaces. The sliders are for sound. Sound can be optical or an 35mm magnetic film (*mag reels"). Most people now use digital none-liner (computer) editing but some of us still like old school. Where did you find this?

Actually, now that I looked at it again, it's a KEM Jr. it's the 6 plate with the 'scope head that through me. Most have 4 plates and an Academy head that I've seen. Again though, where did you find it? from the photos, it looks like a thrift ship or someone's storage room.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

It doesn't have the transport control panel on the lower front right like my 4-plate KEM Jr. telecine has. Anyone know what the transport control options are on a 35 Junior? Is the large knob center front for variable speed?

It doesn't have the transport control panel on the lower front right like my 4-plate KEM Jr. telecine has. Anyone know what the transport control options are on a 35 Junior? Is the large knob center front for variable speed?

I've used a KEM similar to this (16mm though), and yes the large knob is for the speed, and the three buttons to the right of it are to engage/disengage the transports.

Guest Glen Alexander

Here's the one I use, it is one of only two known Vistavision heads I know of still operation on the planet.

Sold

does anyone have manuals for this or info re. the workflow around it, what periphery equipment would be of immediate use etc... (I have a 35mm tape splicer already)

I'm planning on making some scratch film with wasted stock and that sort of carry on ;)

thanks everyone so far with the replies

p.s. it was found in a junk/recycling co-op in Sydney Australia

So $120 is a good price for it (even out of interests sake) - says on it 'working' - ha ha ;)

$120 bucks is a smokin' deal, congratulations and have fun playing with it!! there's a KEM can make you up a manual for it. I was gonna have to do that with my full sized once but manage to wrangle one from the seller instead. They were gonna charge $50 bucks for one to me. Get "The Film Editing Room Handbook" by Norman Kellyn, It'll tell you what you need.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Guest Glen Alexander

make sure you clean everything. a little bit of dirt or static that attracts dust can scratch your film.