Fav single image

Chris Montte

From McCabe & Mrs. Miller, and for me, the greatest single, static shot in cinema.

mccabe3.jpg

From How Green Was My Valley, it comes at the end of a magnficent slow dolly shot, and I think it's the best thing John Ford ever shot.

how-green-was-my-valley-wedding-scene_scruberthumbnail_0.jpg

Edited by Brian Rose

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

Rex, I can't help but reflect that a lot of your favourites imply exactly the sort of Loach-style, depressing, tedious, kitchen-sink dramas about family breakdown and arguing that I absolutely detest. This sort of issue movie is part of the reason we can't make any money in this country.

People occasionally breakdown and argue.

Life is depressing and tedious for most.

The majority don't live the cosy and wrapped up episode of Friends sauntering from Harvey Nicks to Season Two of Entourage far removed from the gutters of the commonplace. I can't be bothered with a dressed up depiction of a world that doesn't exist.

Sometimes Phil when you knock the arse out of The British Film Industry and it's look I often assume you wish that output was generally something resembling an episode of NCSI Miami, is how it comes across to me. How could the edited scramble for ideas through which to avoid whats in my face resonate with me in the slightest?

Edit - And yourself and myself and others have gone through what each of us think the reasons why it's difficult to make money in this country are, so naturally I'm gonna dissagree with your closeing statement completely.

Edited by Rex Orwell

• Premium Member

Personally I like a lot of the images Rex posted. I don't see why every image or type of lighting has to be cheerful, optimistic, or glamorous. Plenty of great paintings used somber, low-key lighting and a minimal color palate.

I guess you've got a point Phil. But much of the United Kingdom is properly properly grim. And you rarely see it. It's mostly unchartered territory.

I don't know if you watched 'Another Year' in 2011 http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1431181/ , to be honest I think it would be precisely the kind of thing you'd hate. It's a family story, there's some psychological problems, there's a funeral and it's uncomfortably bleak in places. At the same time it has glowing areas of warmth and happiness, above all though it's real.

But I've been conscious of my pull towards the decaying that goes mostly unnoticed for many years.

The point is though, likewise the quality of work from this country goes largely unnoticed.

Break.png

Kelty.png

Rain.png

Virtually any shot from 'In The Mood For Love' though

death.png

I love that image too. A shame there's a complete lack of continuity in the rest of the scene! But that's the thing about clouds - they move around. Nowadays of course we'd fix it in post. A mixed blessing that...

Edited by Karel Bata

FF_Jag.png

Woowaah, What is that shot from? That looks like a location I know very well, tho I guess there could easily be very similar ones but would LOVE to know what film that is!!! :) *fingers crossed*

love

Freya

Do you not think the post is a bit crude? I know somewhere like that too but some of the arches have small business operating underneath the tracks. Good combination though; the spacing, the motor and the brickwork.

Anyway it's from Football Factory - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385705/

Nick Love. DP was Damian Bromley - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0111341/

Different film (Nil By Mouth) :

Nan.png

Edited by Rex Orwell

• Premium Member

I agree the clouds are very special!

Not just the clouds but the arrangement of elements from the church on the right, the gate on the left, the car framed inside the gate, etc.

The Smallville scenes, plus John Ford movies and "Heaven's Gate", were much on my mind when I was shooting in Montana for "Northfork":

northfork29.jpg

northfork30.jpg

northfork31.jpg

Do you not think the post is a bit crude?

You mean the colour grade? It's a bit harsh but I've seen worse.

It's hard to know what they were working with too.

I know somewhere like that too but some of the arches have small business operating underneath the tracks.

Well I know loads of places like that, and I think those kind of arches are not uncommon.

I just know a location that looks EXACTLY like that.

Good combination though; the spacing, the motor and the brickwork.

I like the angle on the arches.

Oerall I think the framing looks a little off tho but not in a really bad way.

Different film (Nil By Mouth) :

Yowch, can't make out anything out in that picture except a lamp post on this monitor.

love

Freya

Not just the clouds but the arrangement of elements from the church on the right, the gate on the left, the car framed inside the gate, etc.

The Smallville scenes, plus John Ford movies and "Heaven's Gate", were much on my mind when I was shooting in Montana for "Northfork":

northfork29.jpg

northfork30.jpg

northfork31.jpg

I LOVED your work on "Northfork", I can definitely see the influence from these pictures. I get influenced by by imagery I see in other people's

films as well. I've learned a LOT by simply watching what other people go.

• Premium Member

Oddly enough, this image led me into filmmaking and away from visual effects when I was graduating high school:

empire6.jpg

I loved the realism of this effect shot in "Empire Strikes Back", and the mood, and then found out it was all photography & lighting (other than the stop-motion element) -- I realized that creating mood with lighting was more interesting to me than doing composites in an optical printer.

There is a Hong Kong movie called "The Bride with White Hair" with great cinematography -- too bad there are no great transfers of the movie:

bridewwh1.jpg

bridewwh2.jpg

bridewwh3.jpg

I have GOT to see this movie! I did a Google search and found a few more stills:

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+Bride+with+White+Hair&hl=en&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=TzU&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=GwfsT-riKqrW2gWEt4W9AQ&ved=0CD4Q_AUoAQ&biw=747&bih=397&sei=NgfsT6yeHvO_2QWt-uCzAQ

I agree, it looks FABULOUS. Quality is shocking tho. Looks like a VHS copy or possibly worse. :(

I wonder what it REALLY looks like?

I love the visuals in these kind of movies. Like house of flying daggers! Wow! Such beautiful colours and... well everything.