I like the concept, not sure what the R1 FANBOYS will say

Stephen Williams

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm, modular design is interesting, being able to configure the camera to suit your needs is a cool idea. 28K ?! Well they're definitely aiming high.

As motion picture cameras it looks like they're reasonably priced for the market, but as digital stills cameras they're probably overpriced compared to the competition - I mean if I was after just a dSLR then I probably wouldn't bother with the Scarlet 6K which runs at $12,000 USD and is probably similar in stills spec to the $2,500 USD Canon 5D Mk2.

With all these combinations and configurations one wonders if Red are going to concentrate on sorting out some of the workflow issues that seem to dog the Red One. Compared to other digital cinema cameras and digital still cameras, there seem to be far too many variables or ideas about how one should deal with Red footage.

I wouldn't of even known about this unless a friend sent an email...

Just for fun... and I'm sure I missed a few things.... but went to Red... and discounted some things from their price list... but I hope we don't get tons of post saying its only a $2,500 camera at the entry level price.... and I'm not saying this is a bad thing... but its going to cost more than $2,500

Here is what I came up with...

1 Scarlet Body 2500

1 production pack 1250

1 view finder 2000 (listed at 2,950)

1 cf module 500

2 cf cards 1100

1 red power pack 1450 (charger with 2 bricks)

1 lens mount 500

1 audio module 1500 (a guess from the add on companies with the better jacks)

Then if I went with the $7k S35 I think my friend said... add another $4,500 to that... $15,300... so with goodies that's cheaper than a Red 1... I must still be asleep.... or I'm missing something... except that you can buy the Red 1 today... like I said I could be missing something...

As a RED-ONE owner (call me a fanboy if you want) why would I be upset by this fantastic news? All my accessories will work fine with the inexpensive and appealing SCARLET, and should I want to upgrade to an EPIC, I can trade-in my RED-ONE body for an EPIC for a total rebate superior to what it costed me (due to the RED-ONE's early adopters 2500$ rebate)!

I'm really happy with that kind of customer care! Never had anything comparable in my lifetime! Ever!

I wonder what the RED-skeptics will find out to complain about this time around...

Edited by Emmanuel Decarpentrie

I wouldn't of even known about this unless a friend sent an email...

Just for fun... and I'm sure I missed a few things.... but went to Red... and discounted some things from their price list... but I hope we don't get tons of post saying its only a $2,500 camera at the entry level price.... and I'm not saying this is a bad thing... but its going to cost more than $2,500

Here is what I came up with...

1 Scarlet Body 2500

1 production pack 1250

1 view finder 2000 (listed at 2,950)

1 cf module 500

2 cf cards 1100

1 red power pack 1450 (charger with 2 bricks)

1 lens mount 500

1 audio module 1500 (a guess from the add on companies with the better jacks)

Then if I went with the $7k S35 I think my friend said... add another $4,500 to that... $15,300... so with goodies that's cheaper than a Red 1... I must still be asleep.... or I'm missing something... except that you can buy the Red 1 today... like I said I could be missing something...

The fixed lens Scarlet looks like it will be coming out at under $2500 and will be ready to shoot footage out of the box.

• Premium Member

Minus memory storage, which will drive the cost up a bit. Personally I'd not peg any workable package for under 5,000 USD at this point, just to be safe. Still, if it does what it ought to do, that's a remarkable price point. I worry, though, that this will just- in the end, cause larger investments for shooters over longer periods of time. With a film camera, for example, you buy it once, and it goes. Film is bought by the client. With a video camera too, you buy it once and then you sell it and upgrade to a new package. With these reds, it seems you buy some now; and then next yr the client needs better footage, so you essentially buy bits of it again. I am very curious how the economics of all this will work out over the long term. This isn't a knock, just an observation. I'll probably set some cash aside here and there over the next bit of time and pick up one of these for myself. I'm just in no rush to get it-- i'll wait for whatever bugs there are to be worked out plus some real world feedback.

Minus memory storage, which will drive the cost up a bit. Personally I'd not peg any workable package for under 5,000 USD at this point, just to be safe. Still, if it does what it ought to do, that's a remarkable price point. I worry, though, that this will just- in the end, cause larger investments for shooters over longer periods of time. With a film camera, for example, you buy it once, and it goes. Film is bought by the client. With a video camera too, you buy it once and then you sell it and upgrade to a new package. With these reds, it seems you buy some now; and then next yr the client needs better footage, so you essentially buy bits of it again. I am very curious how the economics of all this will work out over the long term. This isn't a knock, just an observation. I'll probably set some cash aside here and there over the next bit of time and pick up one of these for myself. I'm just in no rush to get it-- i'll wait for whatever bugs there are to be worked out plus some real world feedback.

Memory storage options should have a built in option. The back of the fixed lens Scarlet is MUCH deeper than the brain onlys. I'm guessing its for control switches and a memory slot.

• Premium Member

Hopefully, but even so, the CF cards add in cost. And without seeing what's included in their packages, I'd be worried about the prices. Soon enough we'll all know what comes with what, until then, kudos on new designs, looks good, but then again looks can be deceiving. I learned a whiles back never to get too caught up in this or that product. Again, not a knock, more so the way I am and yes, I realized it's stubborn and closed-minded in a way; but it does keep me from buying anything without careful evaluation. Well, ok, almost anything. . . I have a problem when it comes to dvds....

Hopefully, but even so, the CF cards add in cost. And without seeing what's included in their packages, I'd be worried about the prices. Soon enough we'll all know what comes with what, until then, kudos on new designs, looks good, but then again looks can be deceiving. I learned a whiles back never to get too caught up in this or that product. Again, not a knock, more so the way I am and yes, I realized it's stubborn and closed-minded in a way; but it does keep me from buying anything without careful evaluation. Well, ok, almost anything. . . I have a problem when it comes to dvds....

Yeah, until the price of the fixed is announced (I'm guessing they'll include an 8gig card), it's all smoke and renders.

• Premium Member

Quite true. I'd not bank on a card, though. I know it's almost "standard," with other card-based cameras, but it just seems that at the price of "modularity," they may not want to "force users to record to our media." Just a feeling I get and for safety I'd bang in a card cost to any budget anyone is making up for purchase of one of these. In the coming weeks we'll all find out more.

It looks like, despite the flak the folks at RED take, they do listen to what people say. I for one would love to use my C-mount and compatible mount lenses on a higher end HD camera and Jannard seems to be putting out a C-mount Scarlet. Kudos for that, even if I don't buy one.

Still pretty expensive once one buys all the "neccessories" though.

Just don't think it is that appealing to have to go the modular way, IMO.

• Premium Member

I think it depends on it's implementation, Saul. I mean, technically my "PC" is modular... just it's a pain in the ass and delicate thing to change out a processor....

If it works like Legos; hell, that's Modularity I'm all for so long as it remains cost-effective.

• Premium Member
I wonder what the RED-skeptics will find out to complain about this time around...

Absolutely nothing!

Those renders are absolutely first-class.

And how about that price list?!

My brother has been a typesetter for over 40 years and I don't think he could have done a better job of it. :P

I'm disappointed.

All I really wanted was a 2k+ s35 sized sensor in a cheap small package (something like the Canon 5D mkII but recording redcode raw) there isn't anything like that in this release.

To get S35 in the Scarlet you have to go to 5k which is overkill (for me anyway) and is twice the price of the original Scarlet concept (without any of the required accessories). Still half the price of a Redone though which is amazing.

Edited by jacob thomas

Hey there,

I think I know what everyone really wants. No, it's not 28k?

A camera that shoots 1080p, or 2k, with nikon, canon, or pl mounts. S35 or FF35 sensors, with at least 60fps, if not 120fps. If someone could put this together for three to five thousand dollars you'd have a winner.

Perhaps it's just not possible to do for that price range.

Even so, I'm still a film kinda guy. :D

Jay

Hey there,

I think I know what everyone really wants. No, it's not 28k?

A camera that shoots 1080p, or 2k, with nikon, canon, or pl mounts. S35 or FF35 sensors, with at least 60fps, if not 120fps. If someone could put this together for three to five thousand dollars you'd have a winner.

The irony is that for you to have good 2K results using bayer filtered sensors, you actually DO need sensors around the 5-6K resolution. It's the whole interpolation of color channel resolution thing that causes a 5K image at 100% to not really display a true 5K worth or res. The 4K redone is more like a solid 3K, but if you want it to be really nice in terms of color channel quality when down-resing, 5K and 6k are more appropriate. It does have drawbacks, the bigger the sensor, the harder it is to have super fast frame rates, etc...

I just hope it has a global shutter this time around....

Hey Chris,

I realize the issues involved with a bayer sensor. I wasn't taking any of that into account. I was just stating what I feel a lot of people are looking for. How it's done, I have no idea.

How about those Foveon sensors I keep hearing about?

Paul, you're killing me with these pictures!

Jay

• Premium Member
I'm disappointed.

All I really wanted was a 2k+ s35 sized sensor in a cheap small package (something like the Canon 5D mkII but recording redcode raw) there isn't anything like that in this release.

To get S35 in the Scarlet you have to go to 5k which is overkill (for me anyway) and is twice the price of the original Scarlet concept (without any of the required accessories). Still half the price of a Redone though which is amazing.

Jacob, it does look like the original 3k for 3k Scarlet concept will still be an option, but you're going to have to pay more for a s35mm style camera - though that's not really all that surprising.