Far East techniscope...

Jack Moriarty

• Premium Member
Out of curiousity, I know there's got to be some movies outside of the western world that has implemented Techniscope/2 perf in Japan/Hong Kong/China etc does anyone have any clue of any of the titles?

Are you referring to current works? If you want info from farther back there's this list from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Techniscope

And from I aM DuBious:

http://www.imdb.com/SearchTechnical?PCS:Techniscope

But, I don't know how well it covers your Far East question.

Are you referring to current works? If you want info from farther back there's this list from Wikipedia.

Any works current or older, just preferably good :P that anyone knows of really. I've seen the Wikipedia short list as well as the long list of (mostly) italian flicks on imdb, quite a bit much to sort through but haven't really found much of anything.

According to David Bordwell, Johnny To and other HK directors shoot on Techniscope

Yeah, I've seen that as well, it seems that Bordwell has got his Technovision and Techniscope confused. :| In another article by him as well that complements this one he says Storaro made use of Techniscope according to "link", and page he links clearly says Technovision lol.

• Premium Member
Indeed he says in another post that the anamorphic lenses used in HK are Techniscope (Cooke) lenses.

Is he messing up his data or is it like calling all sodas a Coke? Is it a Chinese catch-all word for wide screen? I don't know enough about what's going on over there to have a clue.