Nizo 6080 or Beaulieu 4008 ZM II

Roger Richards

Hi folks, I am trying to decide between the Beaulieu 4008 ZM II (with Schneider Optivaron 1.8 6-66mm lens) and the Nizo Pro 6080. This will be for use in documentary filmmaking as a B camera for both HD and 16mm projects. Any help would be appreciated, the pros and cons of both cameras from owners. Thanks very much.

Hi folks, I am trying to decide between the Beaulieu 4008 ZM II (with Schneider Optivaron 1.8 6-66mm lens) and the Nizo Pro 6080. This will be for use in documentary filmmaking as a B camera for both HD and 16mm projects. Any help would be appreciated, the pros and cons of both cameras from owners. Thanks very much.

Hi,

I own both and use them often for wedding shoots. The Beaulieu is by far the better camera in both build and concept, I use the 6080 more though because I'm often in sound critical situations and it's VERY quiet. It's also been mentioned by other users that the quality control at Nizo dropped of significantly during the final days during the 6080's reign. The Beaulieu ZMII is THE cinematographers camera in the super8 format and a well serviced example will provide stability and sharpness plus manual over rides and a true ground glass viewing system for accurate focus. The Schneider Optivaron 6-66mm zoom is considered one of the best super 8 zooms ever made. Shooting with the ZMII is rewarding but they require regular servicing just like any other truly professional film camera in the larger formats. There are many other great cams out there like the Nizo Pro too though.

Hope that helps a little

Regards

Hi Oliver, thanks very much for your perspective, that is exactly what I was hoping to receive, feedback from someone who owns both of these cameras. Another option I have is the Beaulieu 4008 ZM with the Angenieux f1.8 8-64mm lens. However, I feel that I have narrowed it down to two good candidates.

• Premium Member

Hi, 4008 with 6-66, have the camera serviced and have the internal 85 filter removed, along with re-colimation of the lens. Never owned a 6080, though i have owned 4080, 6056 over the years, rubber band inside sound four series nizos stretch in time causing problems with the claw or transport... Nizo is the quieter camera.. The schneider 6-66 and ang 6-80 are considered the best super 8 zoom lenses ever made... Owning a 4008, i find the only downside is the 1/87th shutter at 24fps and that damm handle, great for handheld work, not so good for tripod work.. Tend to only use my blimped 4008 for the odd wedding (inside the venue) , prefering the leicina special and bolex ds-8....

Thanks very much for the advice, Andy.

-Roger

Hi, 4008 with 6-66, have the camera serviced and have the internal 85 filter removed, along with re-colimation of the lens. Never owned a 6080, though i have owned 4080, 6056 over the years, rubber band inside sound four series nizos stretch in time causing problems with the claw or transport... Nizo is the quieter camera.. The schneider 6-66 and ang 6-80 are considered the best super 8 zoom lenses ever made... Owning a 4008, i find the only downside is the 1/87th shutter at 24fps and that damm handle, great for handheld work, not so good for tripod work.. Tend to only use my blimped 4008 for the odd wedding (inside the venue) , prefering the leicina special and bolex ds-8....