Best place to buy Super 8 cameras..

Phil Dexter

Hi, I just bought a Bauer A512 from super8exchange.com

They're based in Germany and are very helpful. Respond quickly to emails and prices seem ok (Seen many 814's go for more on eBay). They come with a 14 day return guarantee, and a 90 day warranty.

I've only just ordered my camera so can't really comment, but so far they have been very good. I ordered in the evening and it was dispatched the next morning.

You know it's always buyer beware, but I've got all of my stuff on Ebay. Just be careful and check feeback as well as ask a question or two of the seller. Sometimes their response time and tone speak a lot about that person.

Here are two on the UK's Ebay:

Chinon

Braun Nizo

I've had a Chinon that I bought off of Ebay for $25. It still works, going on 5 years now.

Tom

Looks like it-- his name is Michael. Nice guy. He has some really great prices in dollars this month, especially considering the terrible exchange rate for the U.S.

Definitely spring for the express shipping-- it's like $10 more and well worth it-- the difference between one week of waiting versus 2 months. Germany to California took only 5 working days.

I've ordered from super8arena.com and had a very good experience. I've also ordered from super8camera-shop.com and had an equally pleasant experience.

From both sites I received excellent friendly communication and the cameras arrived well-packed and in the exact condition that was described and shown on the website.

Both are recommended. I also agree about the previous shipping comment. Shell out for the express shipping.

This guy (super8camera-shop.com ) is best known for selling over-priced bad and broken cameras and then making the buyers pay for extra shipping and even the repairs. An idiot and a fraud. Even claiming to not have known about deep scratches in lenses. He is just selling untested fleamarket finds.

This guy (super8camera-shop.com ) is best known for selling over-priced bad and broken cameras and then making the buyers pay for extra shipping and even the repairs. An idiot and a fraud. Even claiming to not have known about deep scratches in lenses. He is just selling untested fleamarket finds.

I can attest to this as well (http://www.super8camera-shop.com/shop/). This crook's name is Uhmeyer. I got stuck with a bad Nizo S560, then had to file a claim with Paypal to get back money from a Canon 1014 I never received. He's great at answering emails only when you file a claim and telling you that all the camera needs is a "little petrol".

Order from him and you will get played.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the great replies guys! much appreciated.

I'm still in search for either Canon.

Jon - tried to PM you but it said your inbox was full, so i've left you a reply in your post.

Rick - Thanks also for letting me know what you have, I'm really after the XL series opposed to the Auto Zoom ones though. But thank you anyway :)

All your help has been very helpful.

I missed out on a mint 814xls a few weeks ago, which i'm still kicking myself over.

Hi,

I bought my Beaulieu ZM4 from Julian at www.super8ireland.com. It was expensive but the service was fast, and dealing with him from South Africa was easy.

I also tried to buy a Bauer from the super8camerashop, but the bank transfer bounced. Reading the comments above, I'm quite relieved.

cheers

Paul

I'd recommend ebay.de over anything else for variety and value. Things seem to go for a fraction of what they do elsewhere. If you have time, you may be able to afford to buy several and even if one or two have issues you'll still have saved money. My friend just picked up a nizo 801 for ?25 and it works perfectly.

I know canon's have a few advantages but i'd rather have a nizo. They are just much nicer to shoot with and have some really fun features like autom. b. I've been through a few canon's in my time and the only ones i still use are a 310xl and 310xlaf- not the sharpest of images but great for something that fits in your coat pocket.

If you're looking for a bargain thinglike high end Bauer, Zeiss, Minolta and Elmo cameras go for stupidly small amounts. I have an Elmo Super 108 M somewhere that handles and runs much better than the tank-like 814 (not an xls mind)