What's everyone working on?

Daniel Madsen

• Premium Member

I have 2800' of various kodak films in my fridge and I just bought an a-minima and set of lenses to play with! Being that I don't have any "big" jobs planned for a few months, I would like to use this time to get some of those shots I have always wanted to have in the reel, but never have the time to get how I want when I am actually working.

I'm working on relaxing. I feel guilty taking time to myself and sleeping in past 11am. I'll get over it.

I also got my girlfriend hooked on the sopranos. We are going to watch all 6 seasons before she's done with her winter break. I'm pumped on that.

I'm also cleaning the apt, and making a small movie theater since I bought a sweet projector.

Not to much for myself, December has been a bit depressing. 1st AC a music video for my good friend & DP, Brett Pawlak. I had a meeting on Sunday with a director to talk about shooting a short in Jan, that went well!

What I really have been trying to do lately is find a larger scale feature or television show I could work on as a camera PA, something that's shooting for awhile. In other words I mostly 1st & 2nd AC indie stuff & music videos, which is great, but I feel as there is still more to learn and more connections to be made thus my current goal.

Just finished Men Who Stare At Goats and have a couple of 16mm shorts to do this weekend. Should be nice, but I am a little worried about next spring . . . The director of Superbad is doing a new flick in town entitled Paul, hopefully I'll get on that even for a week or two. All other work is dry.

I'll just try to shoot as much as possible on my own . . .

• Premium Member

Slowly prepping two low-budget features and four shorts for the coming new year... Till then shooting concerts (strangely) and waiting on checks from very reputable clients (which worries me a little bit) I ACd and Tech'd for. A little concerned about January, but once that's all over it should be busy and interesting.

Then I start prepping a short that I'll be shooting in mid-January, my first on 35mm (yay!).

Nice, Satsuki. Enjoy!

A professor of mine who is an actual producer picked up a script of mine that I will be writer/ director for is starting to get rolling. We're almost done with development and hopefully after the holidays (and when my producer gets back from Sundance) we'll be able to get into pre-production. I was amazed when she picked up this script and said that we'd have a budget of around $40k to shoot a 20 page short with being that I'm only a 20 year old college student who has never done a production like this before, but I can't wait! We're going to be shooting on S16mm film but we haven't found a DP for it yet. We may be getting Chris Hart from Kodak to DP it or another local DP who I was dolly grip for on a production a couple of weekends ago.

Fall semester is over now so I'm doing a quick pre-production for a short that I'll be producer, director of photography and editor for which will be shot early January.. Obviously this is a student piece with the number of rolls I'm taking part in. This will also be my first production with a higher end HD camcera (hopefully), so I'm really looking forward to that.

The writer for a feature that I canceled production on during the summer finished the second draft of the script and so I've begun all the pre-production for that. I'll be producer, director, director of photography and editor for that project. Again, another student project that will probably be shot early to mid summer and unfortunately probably only on SD due to no budget.

Edited by Steve McBride

• Premium Member
We're going to be shooting on S16mm film but we haven't found a DP for it yet. We may be getting Chris Hart from Kodak to DP it or another local DP who I was dolly grip for on a production a couple of weekends ago.

Hey Steve,

When are you looking to shoot? I still do student productions (I too am 20 years old) that pique my interest. Never been up to Rochester, but I'd entertain the thought :)

Gus

www.gussacks.com

Thanks for the interests, I'll definitely talk to my producer about it. I'd like to get someone that I kinda know rather than someone I don't (as well as closer to my own age).

We're looking to shoot early spring because the story takes place over a long period of time so we're going to hopefully use the changing exterior to help with the progression of time.

• Premium Member
Thanks for the interests, I'll definitely talk to my producer about it. I'd like to get someone that I kinda know rather than someone I don't (as well as closer to my own age).

We're looking to shoot early spring because the story takes place over a long period of time so we're going to hopefully use the changing exterior to help with the progression of time.

Sounds cool. I shot out in Syracuse a few times... Wonder how the seasons change even further "out" and closer to the water.

Sounds cool. I shot out in Syracuse a few times... Wonder how the seasons change even further "out" and closer to the water.

It's really nice. Summer to Fall is definitely the best since you have all the warm colors working around you, but Winter to Spring isn't too bad either.

• Premium Member
It's really nice. Summer to Fall is definitely the best since you have all the warm colors working around you, but Winter to Spring isn't too bad either.

Gotcha. I guess when the sky stops dropping buckets of snow everywhere anything's nicer, haha.

2008 was my first official year out of college and it's been my best year financially and career wise. I was contacted by an agency in LA and several of the directors I work with have signed to agents/production companies and/or are being courted.

This year I've been lucky enough to shoot music videos in London, LA, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Miami, NYC, Rochester, Chicago, and Detroit for artists: Ludacris, Snoop Dogg, Busta Rhymes, Less Than Jake, Hey Monday, We The Kings, DJ Premier, Los Del Rio, and some other smaller artists. Two spots for MTV and some corporate stuff. Got to shoot super35mm, RED, and a bunch of 2/3" and 1/3" HD cameras.

I have 4-5 videos booked in January which I'm excited to shoot one with RED w/ Anamorphic lenses and one with a 35mm Panavision package.

This forum has been an amazing resource for me and it has bailed me out a few times when I've gotten in over my head.

Compared to guys working on union TV, features, and bigger commercials and music videos I still feel pretty green. I have my doubts with the economy and the state of the music industry but what can you do but keep working, actually it makes me work harder. :ph34r:

Happy Holidays CINE-FORUM,

Matt