Our Super 8mm commercial

Patrick Barry

Hey Ira, thanks for the enthusiasm! We used a dolly for the first shot on the front porch, but all the running shots after that were out of a sunroof, just trying to be as steady as possible. We actually have a beach here that we can drive on, so for the beach shots I was laying out the back of my station wagon, holding the camera about 2 inches off the sand as our runner ran behind us.

MAN did you inspire me to start shooting already! My wife left today for Venezuela for 5 days to visit family, so I'm taking vacation days to play Mr. Mom to the boys.

And a lot of that time is going to spent getting all of my K3 gear in order.

But I can't believe you just held the thing for most of it--especially that low view on the beach!

Hey all,

New here, but just wanted to share some exciting news. Just finished an ad for Mizuno Running. Decided to shoot on Super 8mm and I think it paid off. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

http://www.mizunousa.com/news.nsf/running?OpenForm

Hi;

Very cool, so what camera, what stock and what post workflow? Any post stabilization here?

Great to see the little format being used for a professional aplication, something I'm seeing more of I'm glad to say....

Regards

Hi;

Very cool, so what camera, what stock and what post workflow? Any post stabilization here?

Great to see the little format being used for a professional aplication, something I'm seeing more of I'm glad to say....

Regards

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed it.

We used a Canon 1014E. The stock was Kodak Vision2 200T. We telecined to mini DV and edited on Final Cut Pro. We didn't do any post stabilization or anything like that, just some minor color correcting. With everything going digital and getting all crisp, the way to get your stuff to stand out is to go the other way. Even people who I've showed the ad to, who don't know the difference between film and video have commented that they enjoyed the look of it.

We're actually just finishing up a short 10min film that we did on B&W reversal Super8mm. I'll post a link when we get a clip together.

• Premium Member
Hmmm. It was working. Perhaps they're updating the site or something. At any rate, its on YoutTube here. Make sure you watch the High Quality version.

I didn't like the music mix. The music is too loud in parts makes it harder to understand the lyrics.

You could almost start the film 37 seconds in to give it more pop, although we would need to see the shoes a couple more times if you did that.

I think those first 37 seconds could be better used to set up the excuses that get in the way of running, TV, Internet, super-8 forums, bills to be paid, blabbing on the phone (viewpoint from the shoes looking up at the guy while he jabbers on the phone, his feet, with shoes on, sort of bob back and forth as if there is something they would rather be doing), then cut to the shot by the door where he sort of explodes into the outside.

-----------------------------------------

The vision 200 stock is the most versatile stock for shooting both indoors and outdoors. Love the shot in the woods where you have ultra contrast and virtually everything still came out exposed. Some excellent cut on action sequences from wider shot to closer shot when he is running on the streets.

Dare I presume you were able to get more shots done faster because you shot on Super-8?

If you had shot on video, dare on I presume you probably would have had too much footage and ruined the simplicity of the idea?

Dare I say that if you had shot this in a bigger film format the budget would have exploded because of the bigger crew and additional expenses in every aspect of the production?