Overcranking on an XL2

Im going for that nice slo mo effect you get from overcranking. I hear using twixtor is the way to go with this. Does anyone know how to accomplish this? i own after effects and avid (through my school).

I read on a couple other forums about shooting 60i and then stretching that out to 120/fps

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/canon-xl2-watch...look-xl2-2.html

Does anyone know of any better ways?

The better way is to shoot it overcranked to begin with. Programs like Twixtor and Kronos can be helpful, but they require a large amount of input in order to get good results, and they're never going to be as good as doing it for real. There really is no substitute for doing it properly in the first place.

The better way is to shoot it overcranked to begin with. Programs like Twixtor and Kronos can be helpful, but they require a large amount of input in order to get good results, and they're never going to be as good as doing it for real. There really is no substitute for doing it properly in the first place.

Guest Owen Parker

Elvis,

before you do a full shoot why not shoot a test with what you've got available.

If you've got the XL2 and an Avid, shoot at 60i and apply a 50% (to get 120fps) but use the Fluid Motion effect in Avid.

This gives you a really nice blended effect. When you mark your clip to render it make sure that you have an even number of frames.

(e.g. 4 seconds and 12 frames, not 11 or 13) That way you get a true 120fps effect and not a 119fps or 121fps. If you have FX's info switched on, on your time line it will say on the clip that it's 50% exactly and not 49.99% or 50.10% as it tries to number crunch uneven numbers.

Elvis,

before you do a full shoot why not shoot a test with what you've got available.

If you've got the XL2 and an Avid, shoot at 60i and apply a 50% (to get 120fps) but use the Fluid Motion effect in Avid.

This gives you a really nice blended effect. When you mark your clip to render it make sure that you have an even number of frames.

(e.g. 4 seconds and 12 frames, not 11 or 13) That way you get a true 120fps effect and not a 119fps or 121fps. If you have FX's info switched on, on your time line it will say on the clip that it's 50% exactly and not 49.99% or 50.10% as it tries to number crunch uneven numbers.

Wouldn't that be 60fps at 50%? 60i is not 60 fps, it is 30fps interlaced.