White Cyc - Music Video

Matt Workman

Hey Guys,

I have a music video coming up that is going to be on a large white cyc, hopefully at least 30x30. I've lit a couple of these setups before mostly with 6k spacelites and then a big 10k or 9 light side source.

However on this video I wanted to try using a 20x20 overhead with Maxis or bounced Maxis coming straight down. I know for a car shot this would look much better as a reflection but will the 20x20 overhead look much different than just the ambient light made by a grid of spacelites?

Thanks,

Matt

• Premium Member

I don't think it would look much different, but it would certainly be a lot more work to control. Cutting the maxis would be a bit of work.

You could hang your space lights and then send them through a 20x20 of light diffusion (like 1/4 grid, china silk, or 1/2 soft frost). Would give a similar look/ blending as the bounce.

Kevin Zanit

Thanks. Its kind of an time intensive test to try out without actually knowing if its worth it.

As far as control, like keeping the background light off the foreground etc. I still like the idea of using skypans on the bg then bouncing the maxis through the overhead...but maybe its just in my head.

Thanks again though. :lol:

Matt

HI-

Here's a music video I shot last year with the exact same set-up; we had about 6 (6k) space lights and a huge silk stretched underneath, all against a white cyc: (I even had the 10k off to the side!)

It worked great, the silk made a huge difference in spreading the light and making it less "sourcey", but pulling the silk across lost another stop or two from the space lights, so that we were barely at f2.8 @iso320 24fps.

i had the same problem on a feature, silk just sucks to much light when using a soft source like spacelights and you end up shooting almost wide open with the focus puller in tears ;-). i wonder what 1/4 grid would do, as Kevin suggested. i love it when used in front of a punchy source like a Dino but ive never tried using it with spacelights.

another option for you Matt could be skypans and then silk or grid, im sure theyd be easier to control than maxis

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Yeah I thought about SkyPans, seems like the old school Hollywood way to go. I've only used the 5k skypans and I still don't have a good handle on how much light they put out, especially through a silk or light grid. Maybe 4x 10k skypans straight down would be safe.

How does a 5k skypan compare to an image80 in output and light quality? Kinos shift magenta and skypans shift orange due to off-white reflectors...

Also I was watching the BTS of a Benny Boom music video and they were using a 15x15' chimera looking softbox...and a briese. :blink: What kind of lamps are in these? I'd assume an array of pars/openface-bulbs or kino megatubes? Kind of like a mini fisher light.

Thanks,

Matt

How does a 5k skypan compare to an image80 in output and light quality? Kinos shift magenta and skypans shift orange due to off-white reflectors...

well skypans are old school big tungstens and if you live them naked then youd be getting quite a strong falloff, always depending how high or low you hang them on your rig.

image80s are fluorescents and the falloff would be much smaller compared to the skypans, theyre basically like to 44s put together! color temperature shouldnt be a problem when using tungsten lights.it all depends on your rig really, i personally would find hanging and rigging skypans a bit easier than image 80s, plus its better to start with a stronger source and maybe cutting it down with diffusion

Also I was watching the BTS of a Benny Boom music video and they were using a 15x15' chimera looking softbox...and a briese. :blink: What kind of lamps are in these? I'd assume an array of pars/openface-bulbs or kino megatubes? Kind of like a mini fisher light.

its definitely some sort of tungsten going through a 8x8 or 12x12 frame of diff. i couldnt really tell what it is but it could be wendys, i love rigs like those. actually wendys could be an option for your job, too...rigging them on a solid truss with a big enough frame of silk or grid which you can lower and higher as you want and wiring them into a decent dimmer desk would be ideal, just like in that video!