Interesting Red Commercial...

Evan Winter

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

You know... I tend to stay out of discussions on how things "look," etc, or which is better, but this spot bugs me, not because it's marketing hype or whatever, but because I personally found it just looked.. well bad and video-ish. Perhaps it's the compression for web, but it just seemed... washy, and dull, lacking nuance and saturation. just my opinion. Otherwise, a well devised little spot.

• Premium Member
You know... I tend to stay out of discussions on how things "look," etc, or which is better, but this spot bugs me, not because it's marketing hype or whatever, but because I personally found it just looked.. well bad and video-ish. Perhaps it's the compression for web, but it just seemed... washy, and dull, lacking nuance and saturation. just my opinion. Otherwise, a well devised little spot.

Hi,

Dreadful highlights & horrible skin tones, I have seen way better from a Red One. I suspect the Red One will be obsolete long before film.

Stephen

Agreed, everything seemed way too cool and because of that the skin tones were completely washed out.

Picture wise, rather depressing....

Landscape with no greens, browns, reds, yellors, colorless buds and flowers, sky without blue...

:(

Also, I noticed a quite a lack of faith of the creators of this commercial:

If they truly belive that films days are over, why didnt' they put a 535 or panavisions in the grave?

Why they decided to destroy only worthless 8mm and 16mm consumer cameras?

:)

• Premium Member

I'm sure kodak is laughing at this- the skin doesn't look good, highlights are blown everywhere and the image is dull (not just desaturated but dull). Nice shooting and concept though- I really like the Red but it inst going to replace film- even super8!

I would love to see part 2 of this shot on film for comparison: "Film... back from the Dead"

This reminds me of the the digital camera commercial I saw where everybody was trying to take pictures of this celebrity, film camera fell on the floor and the film popped out, in slow motion.

My favorite part of said commercial? IT WAS SHOT ON FILM. . .

There have been several other big digital camera commercials and computer commercials that are still, surprisingly, shot on film. Hmm. . .

What a pretentious piece of absolute poop! How can they can clain film will be gone for good sometime next year. I don't see RED's with 8mm sensors and all the manual function you could wish, a great lens, and tons of beautiful retro design going for £30 on ebay! And I doubt even the most RED-crazed fanboy could claim his camera's footage could compare with film on the colour rendtion, exposure latitude, and archival longievity score. What utter rot! It was actually rather upsetting to watch all those beautiful servicable cameras get covered in soil. At least they'll still be around in fully functioning condition twenty years from now. Long after Jannard and his diabolical RED has been dismissed as nothing but empty bluster.

If you're going to produce an advert insinuating the demise of a given object at least try to hold a candle to the object you're trying to outmode. Heck! I've seen similar looking footage on the HV30. I mean, granted, ir's hardly 4K, but...

It's like making an advert tomorrow saying 'Ferrari 1928 - 2009. The new Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi is here!'.

I think for anyone in the Dartboard manufacturing trade this may come in useful:

cannon_bw.jpg

Edited by Matthew Buick

Yep I think so too. Do you think Tom will do another bet with us Stephen? ;)

Actually I very much agree with Stephen on his point. Film will easily outlast Red One. I never thought Red One would replace film. I have always thought Red's second offering -- which has turned out to be this modular, upgradeable DSMC system -- would be the real "film slayer." I still believe that is the case, more than ever.

I also agree that this clip does not look good, though I got a kick out of the premise. :lol:

What a stupid commercial, honestly.

Hey, I like the Red as much as the next guy, but to prefer one over the other across the board is madness.

Also, something that's shot with the Red and looks SO MUCH like video, shouldn't be selling itself as the replacement for film. No offense to the filmmakers.

I wanted to kick that guy in the face for throwing that dirt on a Bolex.

• Premium Member
I have always thought Red's second offering -- which has turned out to be this modular, upgradeable DSMC system -- would be the real "film slayer." I still believe that is the case, more than ever.

So do you want to bet that film will be around longer than the amazing Epic?

So do you want to bet that film will be around longer than the amazing Epic?

Well, horse-drawn buggies are "still around."

But I feel more confident than ever in my prediction that the DSMC system (aka Red's second offering) will represent the knee of an exponential curve illustrating digital cinema's displacement of film. The modularity and upgradeability of the system makes me even more confident of this.

But there are other digital cameras that will help to speed along the process as well. The 5D2 is a harbinger. Mark my words on that.

• Premium Member

We're going through a transition to be sure, but I can remember posts just last year saying that Red One would kill film, I can remember such posts pre-2000 when the F900 was coming out.

Eventually if, when every new digital cine camera is announced, you predict it will replace film, you're eventually going to be right. If not the EPIC, it will be whatever follows the EPIC two years later... so the value of such prediction-making is limited, it's just cocktail conversation.

I certainly see EPIC and whatever else comes out in the next two years as being important pieces of the puzzle of what will come to dominate eventually over film, whether they specifically will be those cameras.

Now whether film can survive when it is no longer the dominant format for production, I don't know. It requires a certain amount of infrastructure from manufacturing to labs. On the other hand, I can still shoot 35mm still film and get it developed and printed.

We're going through a transition to be sure, but I can remember posts just last year saying that Red One would kill film, I can remember such posts pre-2000 when the F900 was coming out.

Eventually if, when every new digital cine camera is announced, you predict it will replace film, you're eventually going to be right. If not the EPIC, it will be whatever follows the EPIC two years later... so the value of such prediction-making is limited, it's just cocktail conversation.

I certainly see EPIC and whatever else comes out in the next two years as being important pieces of the puzzle of what will come to dominate eventually over film, whether they specifically will be those cameras.

Now whether film can survive when it is no longer the dominant format for production, I don't know. It requires a certain amount of infrastructure from manufacturing to labs. On the other hand, I can still shoot 35mm still film and get it developed and printed.

Agree 100%!!!

(Thanks for saying this. I belive it brings also more light to some of the words I said in this topic: http://www.cinematography.com/forum2004/in...howtopic=35468)