Having Your Movie Seen Overseas

If You go to this link:

http://www.showtimearabia.com/ShowGuide/On...arch_en_gb.aspx

Then type "Dark Reprieve" into the search box and then select "Next 30 days" then hit "Search."

You can see the very strong schedule Dark Reprieve has on Show Time Arabia which covers 14 Arab nations.

This to me is what indie film distribution is all about, going head-to-head with Hollywood movies in an overseas territory. I mean making a TV sale on this movie in Canada is one thing, the broadcaster has to air a certain percentage of "Canadian Content" any way. But there's no benefit to them airing this low budget movie in Arab countries half a world away.

I hope other indie producers on the forum realize that even though the odds are stacked very heavily against us, it is possible to take on the Hollywood sales machine overseas and compete with them.

R,

I just hope it's not strong in Arab countries because it's about Westerners being tortured inside a prison by a faceless powerful enemy that completely controls every aspect of their very existence. Well, even though there were werewolves and psycho doctors, at least in your prison there was no waterboarding. :D That is really cool though, seriously. I hope this makes you a mint and the next one, Pumpkin Dead, makes even more!!! B)

No, I didn't and I'll tell you why. It's because I was way too busy paying attention to miss Deal or No Deal's boobs as ANY red blooded American would be.....but what the Hell do you care if I thought that evil Canadian sled-dog was a werewolf or not, you're making like what, a bazillion dollars off the Arabs now? Pretty soon you'll be busy doing blow off the taunt, tanned perfectly formed backside of the Playmate of the Year while jetting off to Scotland in your Gulfstream to play golf with Brad Pitt and Justin Timberlake as you look over your contract for a 5 picture deal with Dreamworks so you won't even TALK to my peon" monkey ass by next month!. :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Oh yeah I forgot, never mind.

I have to go back to picking the colours for the interior of my new Ferrari as indie filmmaking is such a profitable venture. :blink:

R,

Pick anything but red, Red is SOOOO cliche'. As for Indies being a profitable enterprise, The Passion of the Christ and The Blair Witch Project did pretty well. :D Besides, you KNOW ya got the Arabs. Those guys love you. Hey man, you know I'm just given ya poop. You'll get there. That Ferrari may not be as far off as you think....... A Gulfstream's gonna take a little longer though. B)

• Premium Member

Hey Rich - can you go over this please (again?) ?

does the distrib pay for advertising in this region, is there no advertising, is it up to you, which is to say, adviseable if you have the money?

in my business experience, distributors (not film) will say they will budget for something, but it's a foreign country / language, and very hard to track, and likely they keep the money rather than spend it on marketing. Are you trying to get these viewings to translate into DVD sales or are you concerned with selling the territory and leaving it at that.

Thanks again.

Hey Rich - can you go over this please (again?) ?

does the distrib pay for advertising in this region, is there no advertising, is it up to you, which is to say, adviseable if you have the money?

in my business experience, distributors (not film) will say they will budget for something, but it's a foreign country / language, and very hard to track, and likely they keep the money rather than spend it on marketing. Are you trying to get these viewings to translate into DVD sales or are you concerned with selling the territory and leaving it at that.

Thanks again.

This is cable TV there won't be any advertising other than maybe an on-air promo which the networks always do. Who knows what kind of on air promo dept Show Time Arabia has?

On sales like these the territory is sold out and the local buyer sells the movie as they sit fit, if they can get a TV sale all the more power to them. TV sales make more money than DVD and there is a lot less work involved.

R,

• 4 weeks later...