about lenses and focusing

Hello,

I am using manual focus 35mm lenses for the first time (used to shoot prosumer autofocus cameras)

and I am finding setting up the camera, measuring distance, and focusing very frustrating.

Do you guys know of any tutorials or online resources for the total newbie?

I basically need to learn where to place my lenses in relation to the subject to get good focus, but any other beginner level information on this whole topic would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by Mo Kamal

Hello,

I am using manual focus 35mm lenses for the first time (used to shoot prosumer autofocus cameras)

and I am finding setting up the camera, measuring distance, and focusing very frustrating.

Do you guys know of any tutorials or online resources for the total newbie?

I basically need to learn where to place my lenses in relation to the subject to get good focus, but any other beginner level information on this whole topic would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yes, get a focus puller.(1st AC)

How can you answer "do you know of any tutorials?"

with

Yes, get a focus puller.(1st AC)

not really a smart answer.

OK so for a focus puller, are there texts, or learning resources available?

There is a ton of information on every part of film production, but I can't seem to find much on the lens and focus part of cinematography, tons and tons on lighting though.

not really a smart answer.

Unfortunately, although the response you got may have been a little glib, it was also accurate. Achieving and maintaining accurate focus is a difficult task, and is generally too difficult for the operator to do whilst also operating the camera. That's why the role of Focus Puller exists.

If you want hints and tips from focus pullers, you might try asking in the Camera assistants forum.

• Premium Member

There are a couple of good books on the craft of Camera Assistant that have useful information on focus. One by Doug Hart and the other by David Elkins.

The answers to Liam's questions might help us make more specific suggestions.

Unfortunately, although the response you got may have been a little glib, it was also accurate. Achieving and maintaining accurate focus is a difficult task, and is generally too difficult for the operator to do whilst also operating the camera. That's why the role of Focus Puller exists.

If you want hints and tips from focus pullers, you might try asking in the Camera assistants forum.

You know, even though there are books and plenty of advice on the net, there probably shouldn't be. Some things you can read the world about and you still won't know how to do them.

This is something that you can learn tricks for, but ultimately have to learn by doing, like playing an instrument. If you are going to try to just pick it up, forget about getting good results pulling focus shooting wide open.

35mm stills lenses or 35mm cine lenses?

What camera are you using?

Do you follow focus?

What viewfinder are you using and how are you monitoring?

Answer these and I'll answer yours:)

well I'm using 35mm stills lenses, on a hvx200 with adapter, but I also have a Red One and arri MFF-1 on the way.

Have been using the HVX lcd not the viewfinder, then checking playback on a PC monitor and a TV.

I am actually a director not DP or AC, on the small stuff that I've worked on (shorts and music videos) we had a DP, but since I invested in cameras and lenses, and since I have them to my self for long periods of time, I usually find my self playing with the equipment, and I am sure that I will go even more nuts with a Red One.

So that is why I want to learn the fundamentals, if not to be a DP or an AC, to know my way around their stuff.

I figured someone must have talked about the craft in detail, and about the basics or fundamentals. or maybe not :)

Edited by Mo Kamal

There are a couple of good books on the craft of Camera Assistant that have useful information on focus. One by Doug Hart and the other by David Elkins.

The answers to Liam's questions might help us make more specific suggestions.

Thank you for the info, I'll try to get myself a copy of those.