Friday the 13th

Released on February 13th (Friday, when else?) comes this 'retelling' of Jason Voorhees and Camp Crystal Lake. Directed by Marcus Nispel and DP'd by Daniel Pearl, ASC, who both worked on the Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake, I was pleasantly surprised to find an article on the Kodak website about the production of 'Friday' as I am a big horror fan, particularly 'Friday' and Halloween.

Kodak- Friday the 13th

It's interesting reading about how Pearl used Vision3 5219 500T for night shooting; rating and pushing the stock usually by one stop but in circumstances going further to two stops, with Pearl responding that the results were "mind blowing." On top of this the new G-series anamorphics were the core set with the E-series 135 & 180mm primes, AWZ2 & Angenieux zooms. Taking a side-step, could anyone list other films that have also used the G-series primes just to satisfy my burning curiosity? I was excited before this article but this is pushing my anticipation so much more with the promise that it will at least look great. From the trailer I'm hoping for a good chill.

Lastly a little trivia, there will be three months in this year where the 13th will on a Friday: February, March and November. I suppose that's not good for the superstitious.

• Premium Member
On top of this the new G-series anamorphics were the core set with the E-series 135 & 180mm primes, AWZ2 & Angenieux zooms.

Hmm, sounds like the only argument to go see such a film. Too bad they did a DI, anamorphic printed photochemically always looks so gorgeous.

In response to Max's post, I'm not really surprised over the DI. Over here in the US, it seems that DI has pretty much taken over. Very few movies tend to be done photochemically these days. Then again, I could be wrong.

DI aside, Friday The 13th just convinces me even further that Hollywood has almost no creativity whatsoever and now can only come up with remakes of other movies. What is Hollywood going to ruin after this? A Nightmare On Elm Street? Unless somebody points a gun to my head, you're gonna have a hard time picturing me investing in a ticket for this.

What is Hollywood going to ruin after this? A Nightmare On Elm Street? Unless somebody points a gun to my head, you're gonna have a hard time picturing me investing in a ticket for this.

Actually, yes. Nightmare is going to be remade by Michael Bay's production company.

I dont care much for remakes either

but when it comes to the horror film genre, theres really only so many original ideas?

not to mention friday the 13th series was heading down hill after part 8

I mean the whole story line about friday the 13th is Jason seaking revenge over his mothers death,by killing anyone who enters camp crystal lake...... does it really matter if its a remake or a sequal?

I may be laughed at for this but I liked how Nispel and Pearle handled the TCM re-make. Pearle was the one who shot the 1973 Tobe Hooper version and it was interesting to see what he did since he was able to re-shoot one of his earlier projects. That being said, I'm a horror movie fiend and am actually excited to see this one for better or worse. It actually can't be much worse than the original films were, which was part of the charm for me anyway.

As for a Nightmare re-make, personally that would be blasphemy in the horror world to me. These slashers, Jason, Freddy, Leatherface were my superheroes growing up and TCM was the reason that I wanted to get into filmmaking in the first place.

I do agree though that we are oversaturated with re-makes and I'm sure we'll be saying that all the way up until they re-make Gone With the Wind and Citizen Kane.

Guest Stephen Murphy
I may be laughed at for this but I liked how Nispel and Pearle handled the TCM re-make.

Me too - Loved how it looked; Pathfinder too.