Low Budget Jib

Renny McCauley

This is for a 16mm student film - we're shooting on an Arri SR.

I'm trying to figure out a practical way to get a shot. The scene is that there is a woman lying on the ground. Ideally the camera would be directly above her (or close to that anyways). I'd like to be able to start wide on her and jib down so that I'm close in on her face. I'd probably use a really wide lens like 10mm.

How would you guys go about getting this shot in the most affordable way possible?

We have the budget to get a jib, but I'd rather not get a video tap. In fact, I'm not sure the camera will accept a video tap. We will also have a ladder, but I'm not sure how useful that will be. I can compromise a little on the shot. Perhaps it doesn't jib in as much as I'd like.

I'm also thinking about the focus and I'm not sure how that would be adjusted.

I don't know - I'm short on ideas here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Renny

To do this You'd Need a Video tap of some sort. I may have a low budget solution for you. You will need to pull focus, with either a long Whip (if feasible) or a Wired Follow Focus, or a Wireless Follow Focus. You will need to find a solution for that. I don't see many affordable ways to do this without a job that will still give good results.

If you absolutely cannot get a video tap, try this. Tape a small digital still camera to the eyepiece that can also do video, make sure to focus is on the groundglass. Make sure no light can get through. Record the rehearsals until you are satisfied, then record the takes and double check what you got. I'll share some images with you from a time I had to do this because our monitor was giving us trouble, this was a fast solution for us, and saved us some daylight to do many takes.

Look on the viewfinder of the camera. the consumer stills/video camera is taped on there. TrackSat11.jpg

here is a video from one of the takes

this is a good low budget solution you can look into. however it is NOT ideal. It worked for us.

Allen

Couldn't this be done from a fixed height platform above the actor and a zoom lens? Scaffolding or two wide base stepladders with an extension ladder across them. This doesn't solve the lack of a video tap, but as I see that is a separate issue.

• Premium Member

I too thought of a zoom lens for the shot seems the easiest if it's a direct up and down shot, ya know. last shoot we had an Cooke Optex 10.8~60 T3 which was nice and I'm sure could achieve what you're looking for. It even had a toothed zoom ring we could attach the follow focus (which you might as well have with your package anyway) onto it.