Aspect Ratios

Neal Dhand

I'm sure this is a common question, so please forgive my ignorance and/or redundancy.

Is 2.35 the same as anamorphic, or is there a difference? What about Super35?

I always thought that 2.35 was just using a different area of the negative, as opposed to say, 1.85 where anamorphic is strictly a result of lenses.

For example, if I am shooting on a Panaflex Gold II, can I achieve any of the above, depending on the lenses?

The more detailed and dumbed down for me the better. Thanks.

I'm sure this is a common question, so please forgive my ignorance and/or redundancy.

You can shoot 2:40 on both anamorphic as well as spherical lenses.

I always thought that 2.35 was just using a different area of the negative, as opposed to say, 1.85 where anamorphic is strictly a result of lenses. For example, if I am shooting on a Panaflex Gold II, can I achieve any of the above, depending on the lenses?

2:40 doesn't automatically mean anamorphic. It can be spherical as well (i.e. Super 35).

Yes.. a G2 can use both anamorphic as well as spherical lenses to achieve the 2:40 aspect ratio.

Edited by David Rakoczy

• Premium Member

Most anamorphic lenses have a 2X squeeze and are used to get a 2.40 image onto a 1.20 area of the 4-perf 35mm negative.

Super-35 involves using spherical lenses and exposing the image across Full Aperture, which means using the soundtrack area for picture information as well. You can compose Super-35 for cropping to any ratio.

As everyone has already said, they're different. Anamorphic 2.40 is basically where an image with a 2.40 aspect ratio is squeezed to half it's width, resulting in a 1.20 aspect ratio on the film frame. When the film is released in the theaters, the projectionists will use a special lens that will stretch the image back to the original 2.40 aspect ratio the film was intended for.

The Super 35 process does not involve such lenses, but rather it involves framing the picture to fit the ratio of the screen. The top and bottom are matted out and removed from the picture completely, resulting in a rectangular picture. Super 35 movies are filmed using flat (or spherical) lenses, so like David was saying, you can frame it to any ratio you prefer. Just remember that if you're matting to 2.40, that the film should go through an anamorphic process before your film hits theaters (Of course, you may know that already).