What movie would you like to remake, redirect or re-envision?

James Steven Beverly

IF you had the chance, what movie would you like to remake, redirect or re-envision? I figure since so many films being produced in Hollywood today are the 10th remake of a great film from the past that didn't need to be remade in the first place, a remake of a great foreign film that didn't need to be remade in the first place, A video Game the should have NEVER even been CONSIDERED to be made into a movie in the first place (can anyone say DOOM) , a TV show that was re-imagined, mis-cast THEN made into a movie that should have never been made in the first place (I'm waiting for Happy Days the Movie with Jack Black as the Fonz) or a stage musical that WAS a movie, turned into a stage musical became an enormous hit then was REMADE into a movie all originally written by either Mel Brooks or John Waters, this would be good practice in case we ever get a chance to pitch a film for an actual studio executive in between divorces or decide to sell out once our heart felt original indy becomes a monster hit!! :D

For me, I would love to have a shot at Solaris the Musical and cast Miley Cyrus as the "visitor' version of Hari just so I could blast her off into space and Justin Temberlake as Kris so I could watch his head explode trying to understand the role. :) Now on the serious side, maybe an updated version of Mr. Smith Goes to Washington or Valley of the Gwangi. What would be fun to tackle would be Plan 9 from Outer Space. I wonder if you COULD actually make a good movie out of the premise while still staying true to the original material? It would certainly be a challenge and a blast to try!!! :D What wold you want to remake, redirect or re-envision? B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member
Orson Welles' The Stranger

I wish I could see a director's cut to understand more about what Spiegel forced Welles to cut out.

Otherwise it would be easy to update the "war criminal hiding out in a small town" story with contemporary characters and motivations.

I've got The Stranger on VHS. I always liked it. It's a little dry. But, Orson's contained desperation is brilliantly delivered.

• Premium Member

I'm still waiting for the wave of remakes of all the fantastic Alistair MacLean stories. Where Eagles Dare is sooo tight and just waiting to be remade. Ice Station Zebra wasn't a good movie, but the book is great. Also, his brilliant Night Without End has never been filmed and that would make for a great film.

At least Dambusters is being remade. Love all those old impossible mission war adventures and I miss them. They had a simplicity to them: here's a mission that has to be accomplished or the world goes under. It's all about process. I get tired of the dramatic machinations of many of todays films when they try to please everyone - bit of love, bit of action, bit of suspense, bit of conflict. Stick to one and do it well, rather.

I've always wanted to get back to the original script for Metropolis and do it using today's techniques and conventions. The inherent tension between the political philosophies of Thea von Harbou and Fritz Lang resulted in a script (and hence a movie) that has many more levels of meaning than any of the subsequent "re-envisionings," but the film remains hard for most contemporary audience members to watch and appreciate.

Sadly, I don't have that kind of money to play with.

I'm still waiting for the wave of remakes of all the fantastic Alistair MacLean stories. Where Eagles Dare is sooo tight and just waiting to be remade. Ice Station Zebra wasn't a good movie, but the book is great. Also, his brilliant Night Without End has never been filmed and that would make for a great film.

At least Dambusters is being remade. Love all those old impossible mission war adventures and I miss them. They had a simplicity to them: here's a mission that has to be accomplished or the world goes under. It's all about process. I get tired of the dramatic machinations of many of todays films when they try to please everyone - bit of love, bit of action, bit of suspense, bit of conflict. Stick to one and do it well, rather.

Ice Station Zebra!!! I LOVE that movie, it would be perfect for a big budget Hollywood makeover, sadly sans Patrick McGoohan, sorry to see him go, he was the best thing in the original. :(

IF you had the chance, what movie would you like to remake, redirect or re-envision?

How about absolutely nothing?

Really, I'd much rather leave "It's A Wonderful Life," "Where Eagles Dare," "Metropolis," and even "The Stranger" alone. Yes, I like Orson Welles (Who doesn't?), and I enjoy Frank Capra's work as well. But let's face it, we could all learn something from "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid," and that something is you gotta adjust to the times. This is the 21st century, after all.

There was a Canadian childrens series called "the Odyssey". It was about a boy who falls into a coma and discovers himself in a world with no adults. The series was very good, and had many subtle threads on coming of age issues... but then turned into one of the worst written series ever. The bottom just fell out... not to mention it was shot in the mid 90's with very small budget, so they were mostly in the woods. lol.

I think it has lots of promise as long as production value and better writing can be made. And this time they won't have Canadian accents! Aboot!

Edited by Ryan Patrick OHara

I would remake john Carpenter's THE THING with a end addicted to hope,set into a modern Antartica base made of renforced concrete with a pier for a submarine and a visual contrast over the Ice/snow by sodium lights of outside area lamps and cool floresent of inside labs...

Edited by fabio pirovano

What is it about the 21st Century that is so freakin' special or different from the 20th?

We don't have flying cars, a moonbase, or sentient computers. This century, and millenium have, thusfar, been dismal failures.

But hey I just can't wait 'til we go digital and get rid of pesky chemical celluloid film! Alright, I'm out. Read enough here for the day to hit the bar :blink: