First time using a crane, any advice?

Greetings!

I am shooting a short film in less than 3 weeks and we are hiring a crane operator for one of the scenes. It's an elaborate shot where the crane begins as a wide showcasing the grand carnival then elevates to a balcony overlooking the party on a close up of our main character. Some of the obstacles are a ceiling of stringed lights over the party, time (as everyone doesn't have enough of it), and that fact that it is night exterior.

I guess I'm looking for is general advice since this is the first time I'm working with a crane operator. What can I do to help him, What should I not do, What things should I prepare for? Are there safety concerns I should be aware of? How long will a shot like this take?

Oh, we are shooting on the Arri 16SR3. This is more for my 1st AC but how does he measure for the focus? And what other advice do you offer to ACs about cranes?

Thank you in advance.

Respectfully,

Cait Rockwell

Obey the Crane Operator.. no faster way to injure or kill someone than jump off the platform before the Crane Op says you are clear to exit! Just tell the Crane Op what you want.. then listen to him. Use the Seat Belt! ;)

As far as focus goes.. the AC does as they always have... no difference.. tho they (may) need to toss one end of the tape measure to the 2nd AC to check focus.

Enjoy the shot!