Blu-ray

If the video processing in the monitor has hardware that does inverse pulldown properly you get the original frames back from film sources with correct pulldown created by converting 1080p24 to 1080i60. There is no loss of detail unless the 1080i60 is already filtered. The bob and weave and motion adaptive interpolation does not apply. It applies only when the hardware can not do inverse pulldown or the source has no detectable pulldown in it (not film based material or with wrong pulldown). Playback from Blu Ray is safe in this regard as it's native 24 fps progressive or if desired with correct pulldown converted to 1080i60 which most new monitors should convert correctly to 1080p60 without loss of detail.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member
If the video processing in the monitor has hardware that does inverse pulldown properly you get the original frames back from film sources with correct pulldown created by converting 1080p24 to 1080i60. There is no loss of detail unless the 1080i60 is already filtered. The bob and weave and motion adaptive interpolation does not apply. It applies only when the hardware can not do inverse pulldown or the source has no detectable pulldown in it (not film based material or with wrong pulldown). Playback from Blu Ray is safe in this regard as it's native 24 fps progressive or if desired with correct pulldown converted to 1080i60 which most new monitors should convert correctly to 1080p60 without loss of detail.

Yea, I should have said my post was regarding broadcast and not bluray. Unfortunately only a handful of monitors tested actually correctly convert 1080 even though the specs say they should.

• Premium Member

There are plenty of good looking blu-ray movies. More good ones than bad, as far as I have seen. I took the time to calibrate my TV to smpte bars and remove the awful motion smoothing "feature." That helped a lot.

• Premium Member
There are plenty of good looking blu-ray movies. More good ones than bad, as far as I have seen. I took the time to calibrate my TV to smpte bars and remove the awful motion smoothing "feature." That helped a lot.

You said it best Chris. Most folks turn on a TV and expect it to be right. There are plenty of tips and tricks on the web that can show all how to properly set up their plasmas or LCDs. I suggest everyone try it. Big differnce in picture quality once you have tweaked it.

http://reviews.cnet.com/4520-11249_7-5582255-1.html

As for Blueray quality, is it really any differnt than just the subjective taste of a filmmaker? DVDs are not the same as the projection of a film, and there are differences, but those differences are based not on some gold standerd but on each film you watch. Sure sometimes graphics and SPX look strange, but then again, I have yet to see any film that anything really looked that good and 100% beliveable if you concentrated on it compared to the live action. And sometimes as we know, films simply don't translate well to DVD in the digital realm where nothing analog made it look and feel like we see.

• Premium Member

I can't believe no one mentioned anything about the sampling and refresh rate of the TV. I went to a store recently, and saw Pirates of the Caribbean 2. It looked like what the OP said, like it was made with an old VHS camcorder from the 80's. The genius sales rep said something about not having a 120Hz cable... and I just said "your dumb" and walked away at that point. I then went to another store, where a seemingly knowledgeable sales rep explained that most TV's have some enhancement setting. This setting basically changes the sampling rate from 60Hz to 120Hz... or something like that. Anyhow, while the effect was turned off, the Blue-ray movie (Final Fantasy Advent Children) looked like something I would expect to see in a theatre. When he turned the effect on, the image on the screen immediately looked like 80's VHS 60i SD video. He told me that it was because of the sampling rate of the TV had changed from something close to 24p to something like 60i.

I still don't understand all this new jazz about HD 1080i 24p hip-hop, but I guess its cool. All I know is that I don't like my TV's to think for me. Just give me a monitor that "turns on" and all the rest of the controls are manual. (yeah right).

Hope that helps.

• Premium Member
I still don't understand all this new jazz about HD 1080i 24p hip-hop, but I guess its cool. All I know is that I don't like my TV's to think for me. Just give me a monitor that "turns on" and all the rest of the controls are manual. (yeah right).

I'm old enough to remember when the kids were the remote control. There was something satisfying in the channel knob going "clunk, clunk".

• Premium Member
I'm old enough to remember when the kids were the remote control. There was something satisfying in the channel knob going "clunk, clunk".

I broke the family set when I was a toddler, I liked to twist the channel knob a little too much. I guess that happened in a lot of homes in the early 80's. :)

• Premium Member

I was just talking about those remotes the other day! Had 4 buttons on mine and as I recall I had to ware a lead suit before I pushed on of those buttons...

Sorry for hijacking the post, and I might have made up that last part...

"Lets change the channel!"

...ka-CHUNK!... haha

• Premium Member

I'm old enough to have been that kid. :lol: It was one of those big old TVs that is built into a wooden cabinet rather than being a black plastic box.

• 9 months later...
Make sure you deactivated any "image-enhancements" from your TV/player!

Well, there are oversharpened, ugly-filtered, over-saturated blu-rays available, but there are some blu-rays that are incredible.

DVD is crap measured by technical standards, period! 720 lines of resolution with inferior compression, creating terrible looking, unsharp images full of artifacts!

Here is a nice site with full-rez screenshots, which may give you an idea when choosing another blu-ray:

http://www.highdefdiscnews.com/?page_id=104

Looking at static shots from that site sometimes the difference looks huge, like these shots from Fight Club:

fight_club_DVD_1.png

fight_club_5.png

(Might have to click this one to see it at 100%)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member
Good looking Blu rays? There are lots and lots.

Blade Runner

Predator

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

Shoot Em Up

The Tudors

The Other Boleyn Girl

Cool Hand Luke

Black Narcissus

Baraka (mostly)

Atonement

Ratatouille

WALL-E

Der Fuchs und das Mädchen

The Prestige

Apocalypto

Matrix 1-3

Add to that two that I just saw on a 1080 plasma set:

The Wrestler

The Devil's Rejects

Both shot on S16mm, funny enough.

I really do not get the idea that NTSC or more correctly standard definition ATSC is any worse than Pal. Pal is 720x576x25 frames per second for a total of 10 million pixels per second. ATSC is 720x480x30 for a total of 10 million pixels per second.

Because NTSC looks poop. Always has. Always will.

films shot at 24fps are retargetted 1:1 frames to 25pfs. Meaning the sound has to be speeded up by a factor of 4%. In practical terms, this has much less of a noticeable negative effect than the visual stuttering seen in material encoded at 29.97fps for ntsc via pulldown. And the awful colors in NTSC.

So in practice, in PAL. the resolution is higher, and the motion looks more accurate to the source material. And the colours are more natural.

But they both look like mush compared with progressive 1080p HD.

R.

Because NTSC looks poop. Always has. Always will.

films shot at 24fps are retargetted 1:1 frames to 25pfs. Meaning the sound has to be speeded up by a factor of 4%. In practical terms, this has much less of a noticeable negative effect than the visual stuttering seen in material encoded at 29.97fps for ntsc via pulldown. And the awful colors in NTSC.

So in practice, in PAL. the resolution is higher, and the motion looks more accurate to the source material. And the colours are more natural.

But they both look like mush compared with progressive 1080p HD.

R.

"poop"???

Ugh. I did not, and would not ever use that word in any sentence, ever. I would rather expletives be replaced with "XXXX" than have my words automatically altered.

R.

• Premium Member

So, what have we decided after all this time?

Blue-ray is ok?

Blue-ray disks more truly represent the filmmakers vision, or that of the theatrical release?

Anyone have a website that will tell me how to set up my player and tv to truly represent what is on the disk?

I do not want my SD to be converted into 16:9 automagically. I do NOT want my Todd-AO, or scope pictures to be magically converted

into something that fills the screen. No, zoom or normal or whatever.

I want black bars, on the side or on the top, where ever. I want to see everything that was meant to be seen in the theatre.

I try REALLY hard to select the best disk, the one that has the correct aspect ratio with black bars burned in. To me, this means

that whatever was in the theatre, I get on my tv.

Whatever media I need to get (other than a release print) I will try to find. If I create a film in scope, I want it to be played in scope.

When I shoot films for people entering in festivals, I make sure to know what the projection format is, that way, if I also edit, I KNOW

my work will be rendered correctly... or mostly correct.

That is what I want out of Blue-ray.