DPs and actors

jon lawrence

I feel a may be a little out of line posting this but I was curious to what people think:

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/020209_christianbale.mp3

As an aspiring cinematographer am I to expect that this is the way actors behave on set??

I don't want it to look like I'm contributing to internet rumour or idle gossip- I'm not even sure if it's real but it's pretty shocking if it is.

-Jon

I feel a may be a little out of line posting this but I was curious to what people think:

http://www.aolcdn.com/tmz_audio/020209_christianbale.mp3

As an aspiring cinematographer am I to expect that this is the way actors behave on set??

I don't want it to look like I'm contributing to internet rumour or idle gossip- I'm not even sure if it's real but it's pretty shocking if it is.

-Jon

dude, this has been covered below a TON. look for it under "Christian Bale as Bill Oreilly" 86 comments and counting.

• Premium Member

No, it's not the norm. But it does happen now & then.

Filmmaking is stressful, tempers get short, and everyone is human, we all make mistakes now and then. We could not get through this life if we didn't learn to forgive an awful lot.

When filmmaking is at its best, it's creatively challenging, exciting, and you're surrounded by fellow artistic souls all working to make the best movie they can. When it's at its worst, it's every man for himself, you're exhausted, you can't manage to deal with other people's feelings correctly, and as one person totally bugs out and starts verbally abusing someone else, everyone else cowers meekly like they are suffering from Battered Wives Syndrome.

You wonder why no one else stood up to defend Hurlbut in Bale's tirade? Like I said, it's a form of Battered Wives Syndrome. We've all been subject to it on a movie set at some point, or seen someone close to us suffer that way, and after awhile, you start to get numb and you internalize your feelings, hope that it blows over and you can get back to work.

• Premium Member
With respect David, no-one stood up to defend Hurlbut because Christian Bale is an A list star who could quite easily insist that anyone who crosses him is removed.

Well, yes, that's an obvious factor -- the higher up the food chain, the more liberties are granted for misbehavior. But it's the same basic issue -- those in power, either physically or financially or whatever (in Bale's case, all of the above), abusing those with less power, hence my comparison to Battered Wives Syndrome. People feel helpless in these situations.

everyone else cowers meekly like they are suffering from Battered Wives Syndrome.

This was exactly my thought when I heard Shane's reactions to Bale in the audio. I can only imagine the amount of internal static he was bearing during the tirade.

What's amazing is that Bale got REALLY worked up when Shane began to suggest that by checking the light he was only trying to help Bale and everyone else on the film - Can you IMAGINE what would have happened if Shane raised his voice in any way in argument? My God. There's nothing else that could be done in this situation - you have to swallow your pride, bear the whole thing, not talk back, and then go about your business with the utmost care that no toe is stepped on.

I've been on sets where the tension levels rise and by the end of the shoot everyone just wants to "get through". The spark is gone. That feeling of "we're all here making it happen together" that you get on the first few days just slips away and all you want to do is survive.

I mean, work together with a crew for 15 hours a day for a month and you're pretty much fated to become a dysfunctional family at some point or another. What an awful shame though. This Christian Bale flare up and situations like it are always going to be an issue. We only hear about this one because the audio is leaked - but it's sure not unheard of. It's the nature of this unbelievably ridiculous business - by nature it will always have the potential to happen again.

This was exactly my thought when I heard Shane's reactions to Bale in the audio. I can only imagine the amount of internal static he was bearing during the tirade.

Whats really scary is you can hear Bale aggressively moving towards Shane as if he's ready for a physical confrontation.

• Premium Member

Really highlights, I think how this profession is very dependent upon interpersonal skills.... the ability to work with people from all walks and with all forms of attitude. It's sad that Bale exploded in such a way, sadder still that it's not an exceptional case- just one where the lav was on and the audio leaked.

I got really mad once on a set. I was stupid, and young[er]. Anymore I find that a good sense of humor about some things really can go a long way.

Really highlights, I think how this profession is very dependent upon interpersonal skills.... the ability to work with people from all walks and with all forms of attitude. It's sad that Bale exploded in such a way, sadder still that it's not an exceptional case- just one where the lav was on and the audio leaked.

I got really mad once on a set. I was stupid, and young[er]. Anymore I find that a good sense of humor about some things really can go a long way.

Well said Adrian, as always. :)

• Premium Member

I'm not trying to defend Bale's behavior. However, I do know that acting can easily be a form of controlled insanity. If you've ever had to act any part in your own production when your sorry-ass supporting actors don't show up you know what I'm saying. The concentration of your body's communicants (face, body, intonation, words, etc.) toward a delivery that will lead to the monetary success of the movie... well, that kind of pressure is unsustainable for most people. You should see my out-takes. Sailors blush watching my out-takes. Fortunately, I'm the DP as well as the actor. Not surprisingly, I cuss myself out when I screw up a take.

• Premium Member
here's nothing else that could be done in this situation - you have to swallow your pride, bear the whole thing, not talk back,

Drivel. Moral relativism of the worst sort.

I get the unpleasant feeling that I'm among people to whom a career in film is more important than absolutely everything. It's not, to me - I have moral standards which are not subordinate to anything, especially not the fact that Christian Bale is a rich man. They wouldn't need to fire me - I'd certainly have been off that set before the third "**(obscenity removed)**" in the above case. Being self-employed is wonderfully liberating in some ways, and I believe it taking advantage of that, but really it's about what's important to you. I have principles which are non-negotiable, as should everyone.

In any case, do we really want to legitimise this sort of buffoonery? The film is junk; it's not worth the blood pressure, and if you're using financial concerns to excuse it, then I really can't help you.

P

Where is McG in all this? What a joke. He should have laid the smack down on Bale, or at least stopped the bleeding and pulled him aside. Seems like the one guy who could have stopped this, the director, was too spineless to intervene.

Just wanted to add to this thread that Mr Bale has given a complete and unequivical apology for his behaviour, describing it as inexcusable and way out of line. I'm quite impressed that he has done this as we all know not everyone would.

I was in a similar situation myself a few years back and I've never received an apology from the person to this day. I tried to do the right thing by the people involved and then I walked but I regret in a way that I was so supportive at this point. Even people involved have suggested it wuld have been far better to have walked right at that point as it would have possibly meant that the people involved would have had to confront the issues of their behaviour. Instead I went through a load more bullying which caused immense damage to my life and my health.

I'm loads better now but presently much less involved in filmy stuff.

Personally I think the people who recorded the Bale incident were doing exactly the right thing. It's perhaps a shame that it was leaked onto the internet but perhaps this helped Mr Bale to hear what he was actually acting like and as a result it might help him to try and change his ways or at least deal with this problem better. It's actually not being supportive of someone to not confront this kind of thing and act like it is okay as it can be really damaging nt just to other people but to those being abusive themselves and their own lives. I hope this whole thing helps Mr Bale to change his future.

Also by recrding what happened there is a slightly more objective viewpoint in the recording so it can help our DP friend prove he really did get abused in this way and can help Mr Bale realise what really took place and not just how he imagined it to be.

As far as my own story goes, the girl who was bullying me went on to try and bully another woman and ended up really embaressing herself, which of course a lot of people are enjoying immensely but I feel bad for her in spite of the things she did to me. I hope that at some point she will find a way to break away from the way she has been acting before it is too late.

At least Mr Bale seems to be realising what he did...

Just wanted to add to this thread that Mr Bale has given a complete and unequivical apology for his behaviour, describing it as inexcusable and way out of line. I'm quite impressed that he has done this as we all know not everyone would.

Would you happen to have any links to where we might be able to find the sound/video/text of what he said. It's not that I don't believe you and want proof, I just think it would be interesting to see what he said. Thanks! :)

Where is McG in all this? What a joke. He should have laid the smack down on Bale, or at least stopped the bleeding and pulled him aside. Seems like the one guy who could have stopped this, the director, was too spineless to intervene.

In fairness to McG, once someone goes off like Bale did, there's really nothing you can do. I've learned this over many years with my 9 year old son and his occasional melt-downs. Once the explosion happens, the only thing you can do is let it run out of steam on its own. The real question, and what we don't know, is how McG handled the situation afterwards, and whether this blow up destroyed set harmony.

One part of the whole incident that is not getting a lot attention, if any, is the effect this kind of blow up has on the entire crew or even Bale's own fellow actor in the scene. He claims Shane was being rude to Bryce Dallas Howard, but I'm sure it wasn't helpful for her frame of mind as an actor to be exposed to his rant.

One of the things that bothers me the most are those people trashing Hurlbut's professionalism in an effort to excuse Bales's behavior. That's just wrong.

What's most unusual about this situation is that it was directed toward a member of the production crew. More often than not, an Actor (and some Directors) will target the Marketing Department, that being the Behind-the-Scenes Cameraman (EPK/DVD) and/or the Unit Stills Photographer. It's often done quietly enough that no one else will ever notice unless they see us pack up and walk out the stage door. Sometimes the reasons are justified, at least in their minds, in that "we" distract them even if we're in the shadows not moving an inch. Other times, it is painfully obvious that they are having trouble with their own job and need a scapegoat to help cover their own inadequacies. It's always interesting that an Actor can have 17 Panaflexes pointed at him/her, but add one "video" camera and suddenly they can't act anymore.

In any case, because of the clear "royalization" of Actors, everyone on set basically has to walk on eggshells, letting the Actors set the tone for how "we" interact with them. Some Actors barely acknowledge the presence of anyone except the Director while other Actors graciously introduce themselves to everyone on the crew. They get this power because they are the one entity on set which is not expendable once continuity has been established. Particularly when they have become "A list" and rank high on the bankability scale, they become bullet-proof and those who hired them (Producers/Studio) are loath to upset them in any way. When any member of the crew can be replaced at any time and the Actors know it, we are all just hoping to make it through the day doing the best job we can in hopes of remaining employed to the end so we can pay our mortgage and make our hours (soon to be 400!). But Actors don't have that concern and have the freedom to be as nice or as terrible as they please so long as their perceived ability to bring in dollars remains high.

Would you happen to have any links to where we might be able to find the sound/video/text of what he said. It's not that I don't believe you and want proof, I just think it would be interesting to see what he said. Thanks! :)

Aploogies John, it was on a radio station called KrOQ on the Kevin and Bean show. Apparently you can hear it on their website. I've only read partial transcripts which seem to be skewed in one direction or another by how they quote it and I don't really want to hear him ring up and apologise because it was embaressing enough hearing him doing the tirade, so I don't have a link to anything I'd feel good about giving out.

I've heard rumours of a letter too but I've not seen it.

Aploogies John, it was on a radio station called KrOQ on the Kevin and Bean show. Apparently you can hear it on their website. I've only read partial transcripts which seem to be skewed in one direction or another by how they quote it and I don't really want to hear him ring up and apologise because it was embaressing enough hearing him doing the tirade, so I don't have a link to anything I'd feel good about giving out.

I've heard rumours of a letter too but I've not seen it.

Oh no that's fine, don't worry, I don't really need a link. But yeah that's cool that Mr. Bale apparently apologized for what he did at least.

• Premium Member
Oh no that's fine, don't worry, I don't really need a link. But yeah that's cool that Mr. Bale apparently apologized for what he did at least.

Err.

You mean the producers and spin doctors made him apologise......

jb

Err.

jb

Yeah, I guess that could also be why, but he seemed pretty cool about it. He even told them they could continue to make fun of him on the radio, cause he said that he deserves it. I'm actually kind of tired of this conversation though. I don't think it's the most important thing in the world to try and figure out why or why not someone did what they did. It was interesting at the start, but now it's gotten kind of pointless. So I think I'm going to get back to talking about "cinematography." :)

Err.

jb

Yeah, I guess that could also be why, but he seemed pretty cool about it. He even told them they could continue to make fun of him on the radio, cause he said that he deserves it. I'm actually kind of tired of this conversation though. I don't think it's the most important thing in the world to try and figure out why or why not someone did what they did. It was interesting at the start, but now it's gotten kind of pointless. So I think I'm going to get back to talking about "cinematography." :)