You just inherited $500,000

Jonathan Spear

35mm: Arri 235 w/ Century shift/tilt lenses

16mm: A-minima, have to think about glass.

But really, my first investment at this point, 2004/5 would be in an edit system allowing me to work at HD / 2K / "or more K" I mean that would be the priority: choosing the canvas,

the paintbrush (see above) coming second:

This is an entirely new way of thinking for me....... I'm not used to it....

But you're asking a cruel question :lol:

-Sam

Trust me... buy real-estate instead of movie equipment that will be obsolete soon after the purchase. You will make more money off of a piece of property than you would ever make on cameras.

Yes!

great answers!

"35mm: Arri 235 w/ Century shift/tilt lenses

16mm: A-minima, have to think about glass."

<DrOoL!>

I have this spec script at Disney studios right now and I'm in my "i still haven't heard back from them yet. they're probably just busy. really busy. oh well, it's brilliant...they just don't know it yet" phase...hence the grandiose dreams of riches, fame and Nicole Kidman.

:rolleyes:

In a few weeks from now I'll begin a more practical approach to my filmmaking career...shooting my first short with my little Beaulieu R16 (a.k.a. 'Boo') and an assortment of old school c-mount lenses (remember those?).

Can't wait!

-God is a D.O.P. ( "Let there be light!!" )

A Mitchell BFC 65mm & three strong men to carry it around, or at least a MOS 65mm camera (MCS 70 65mm designed by Jan Jacobsen) and LOTS of film stock & processing/printing service... :lol:

"70mm suits me fine to show a pencil dropping off a table."

Jacques Tati

Edited by Christian Appelt

I'd either go for a technicolor camera with lots of fine-grained B&W film, a 65mm Mitchell, or Vistavion 35mm. In all honesty, Vistavision or even regular 35mm would be just great. I'd be sure to shoot it all on EXR 50D just because I can and I'd light it with enough light to outshine the sun (all tungsten too, so the effective ASA of EXR 50 would be what, 12?). Then I'd buy 10 refrigerators until I'd save up enough to actually get the thing processed. That's just me though.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

If I was allowed to spend it on anything, I'd simply put that money into making a feature, period, whatever that would take.

If I had to spend it all on camera gear alone.... The first thing I'd do is go into a rental house and spend at least a week shooting tests with various cameras and lens combinations. Then I'd find what I like the best and go to purchase it.

I'd rather have several less expensive cameras than one expensive one, probably would be fine with one set of prime lenses and a few zooms, an assortment of filters, get a steadicam vest, a nice crab dolly, and of course a van to drive it around in. I wouldn't invest in major lighting equipent or grip gear, just some basic stuff that a small crew could handle.

I'm pretty much a meat and potatoes guy, so long as the image quality is good and secondly, the ergonomics are good, that's what I primarily care about. Stuff like ramping shutters and all this timecode stuff I'm not so excited about. It's nice to play with and it makes some people's life easier but totally unnecessary for making a feature film.

It's really about having a reliable camera and good glass to record the images with, and whatever does that job makes me a happy man.

Guest dpforum1968

Putting any of the money into any thing to do with film would be a waste.

Buy land like the guy said, or gold. Soon the US dollar will be worth 3 pesos if you're lucky, that's why every one is buying gold. Can't go wrong with gold.

DC

• 2 weeks later...

A trio of Mitchell BNC's and a pair of Eyemos, huge box of lenses. Plus a 35mm Moviola to edit with, then produce the movie I want to with them.

One advantage of film cameras, they don't go obsolete in quite the same way.

The 65mm option is nice too, I know where to get a 65mm Mitchell for under $100k.

I'd take a year off to write, keep the money to create a solid package for several films, then I would look into funding, and then I'd invest the rest and feel reassured that I will live happily ever after trying to get my films made. Unless I had a sure thing, I can't see blowin that much on one film. It's a great scenario, it costs so much to make a film, but it costs a lot to live when you're not established as well. I'd make a feature in s16 for 50k, how you ask, well, because I have not used up any favors that are tangible. Baraka, one of my favorite films, but if you are intersted on a return, for me there is much more to consider than the width of you're film. I need a story that gets my money back, because blowin that much dough on a shitty story with great cinematography is like buying a 400,000 car cause you have that much in the bank and all you care about is how it looks. Gotta have the story or concept in my opinion. Ah what the hell, dreams are different for everyone, do what makes you happy with that dream dough.

""I need a story that gets my money back, because blowin that much dough on a shitty story with great cinematography is like buying a 400,000 car cause you have that much in the bank and all you care about is how it looks""

eerliy enough, that seems to be the case in certain recent films

<cough! 'Alexander'..cough!>...

<sniffle...'I, Robot'...cough!>

man, i must be catching a cold or something..

:unsure: