proper lens cleaning

I thought that was for the *film* not the lenses…

Yeah, we used that for diffusion once. Production cheaped out on filtration so I had the loader unspool and apply Vaseline to the stock before loading. Worked great, but the rental house won't return my calls anymore. Weird…

• Premium Member
I just looked at the Data sheet for Pancro. Its 100% isoproponal. Otherwise known as rubbing alcohol. Save your $$ and hit a CVS and buy a quart of 90% rubbing alcohol for $2!

That's all good as long as the 90% isopropyl alcohol doesn't contain lanolin or some other skin moistener. Don't ask me how I found out.

• Premium Member
Any old timers, here, remember the nose grease trick? It was used in the field back before sophisticated lens coatings became dominant.

I don't know if this is what you're talking about, but I have put a light thumbprint on a flat to soften a lady's single when I didn't have any filtration.

• Premium Member
I just looked at the Data sheet for Pancro. Its 100% isoproponal. Otherwise known as rubbing alcohol. Save your $$ and hit a CVS and buy a quart of 90% rubbing alcohol for $2!

Pancro isn't necessarily 100% isopropanol. An MSDS is only required to list the potentially hazardous ingredients. Ingredients that are "trade secrets" can be left off of an MSDS sheet under certain circumstances (such as, I suppose, not being all that hazardous).

• Premium Member
Any opinions on Pancro vs. Rosco fluid?

I've used Rosco before and liked it, and it sure is a whole lot cheaper...

I really prefer Pancro. The rosco stuff seemed to leave more of a residue behi8nd that needed to be buffed off with a dry tissue than the pancro does. The price difference isn't much of a concern to me. Enough productions buy a bottle for me that I always seems to have tons of it around to cover the jobs where they do give me a hard time about lens fluid (of all dumb things to complain about).

David: That is kind of a good trick a teacher of mine taught me. He was kind of an old timer and said that was fairly common in the 70s because it let them just soften the face and leave the rest of the frame sharp. It is, of course, useless for anything but fairly static singles. FYI, I think it works better if you wash your hands right before. If you don't the fingerprint is too heavy and smeary-looking.