ASC Open House

Tim Tyler

The American Society of Cinematographers (ASC) will host their annual open house here on Saturday, February 14, from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. at Mole Richardson (925 North La Brea Avenue, Hollywood). The open house is held in conjunction with the ASC Outstanding

“The open house is a unique opportunity for current and future filmmakers, fans and journalists to meet the ASC award honorees and nominees from around the world, along with other members of our organization in an informal environment,” says ASC President Daryn Okada.

Participants in the open house are expected to include Lifetime Achievement Award recipient Jack Green, ASC (UNFORGIVEN, BRIDGES OF MADISON COUNTY); International Achievement Award recipient Donald McAlpine, ASC, ACS (MOULIN ROUGE!, ROMEO + JULIET); Career Achievement in Television Award recipient Robert F. “Bobby” Liu, ASC (LOU GRANT, FAMILY TIES); and Presidents Award recipient Isidore Mankofsky, ASC (SOMEWHERE IN TIME, THE BURNING BED).

Other participants are expected to include ASC Outstanding Achievement Award nominees. Nominees in the feature film category are Roger Deakins, ASC, BSC (Revolutionary Road and The Reader), Anthony Dod Mantle, BSC, DFF (Slumdog Millionaire), Chris Menges, ASC, BSC (The Reader), Claudio Miranda (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), and Wally Pfister, ASC (The Dark Knight). The nominees in the episodic television category are Nelson Cragg (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation), Ousama Rawi, CSC, BSC (The Tudors), Stephen Reizes, CSC (Flashpoint), Gale Tattersall (House M.D.), and Glen Winter, CSC (Smallville). Nominees in the television movie/mini-series/pilot category are Oliver Bokelberg, BVK (My Own Worst Enemy), Michael Bonvillain, ASC (Fringe), Jon Joffin (The Andromeda Strain), Kramer Morgenthau, ASC (Life on Mars), and David Stockon (Eleventh Hour).

ASC is also scheduling a series of seminars with the nominees on a first come, first serve basis:

10:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m. — Regular Series Nominees

12:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. — Pilot/Movie of the Week Nominees

1:30 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. — Special Achievement Award Honorees

3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. — Feature Film Nominees

For more information about the open house and parking, please contact the ASC at (323) 969-4333 or visit www.theasc.com. (Note: participation based on availability)

• Premium Member
Can anyone give any insights into what to expect out of the experience of attending an ASC open house?

Generally it's a crowed meet-n-greet with clusters of students gathered around different ASC members and some ASC members chatting with other ASC members - you mingle basically, moving from conversation to conversation. It's also a chance to talk to the nominees for that year's ASC and Oscar awards. There are some other things going on at the same time, online Q&A's, and the event this year has some specific events.

Normally it's also a chance to see the small clubhouse building, but it's being renovated, so this year's event is at Mole Richardson.

This sounds like just an amazing opportunity for students and people early in their careers. My God, I can imagine it'd be crowded, with no tickets or reservations, just open doors and a casual atmosphere.

It's also a chance to talk to the nominees for that year's ASC and Oscar awards.

So one would expect to see the likes of Roger Deakins and Wally Pfister (and David Mullen!) hanging around telling war stories to a bunch of young filmmakers-to-be with glistening eyes? It just seems utterly amazing to me that you can just... walk into the open house on Valentine's Day and enter a room full of world class cinematographers just hanging around. Really?

I don't need to wear a mask and whisper "Fidelio" to a giant trenchcoated man standing at a gate?

I'm going to have to drive down there next year.

Would be great to check out the seminars and events too. I've always read my Cinematographer, and I read these forums on occasion, but clearly I'm a bit out of the loop with some of the industry traditions. Sounds like a great shindig.

I really enjoyed the panel discussions this year but was somewhat disappointed that there wern't many ASC members talking and sharing stories in groups as they were last year. Thats what I really enjoyed about previous years - getting to talk in small groups with the cinematographers and hearing about the joys and horror stories of working in the field. Maybe I just missed most of that but I hope that it comes back next year.

Edited by Chris Pritzlaff

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest John Sheetz
unless you have a time machine one might not make it.

That's exactly what I was thinking and my Delorean was in the shop. Thanks for the info Michael I will probably just call a buddy I know who might have the answer. If I find out any facts I'll post it.

Guest John Sheetz
The 2010 ASC Open House is on Saturday Feb. 20 at Mole Richardson; the award show is a week later on Saturday Feb. 27.

Thank you for the info David.

February 14 falls on a Sunday this year. When is the event exactly? Is David Mullen's update of Feb. 20, 2010 the same event first mentioned?

Please and thanks for clearing the confusion.

The 2010 ASC open house is Saturday Feb 20. This thread is for the 2009 ASC open house.

Here is a link to the details for the 2010 ASC open house

http://www.theasc.com/news/News_Articles/News_279.php

• 1 month later...