8 GB MAG CORRUPTED

Joe Taylor

This evening after wrapping a commercial, our producer and director were re-playing the shots we had just finished for the day. Everything played back fine and we "were" all very happy. We had viewed several takes on this mag multiple times-- THIS STUFF WAS THERE!! We get to Media Works and downloaded the files from this mag onto the editor's computer. The first several shots had errors. The rest, however, are all shots we had shot yesterday. Nothing from this evening. Panic ensued because this is the second time this has happened. The techs at RED do not seem to believe this is possible and quite responding.

I then made a disk image hoping that I might be able to retrieve out work this way but everything is corrupt. Tonight's work is now nowhere to be found. I then put the Mag back in the camera to see if our shots could still be played back on the camera, just as they had when we wrapped. Now the camera does not recognize the mag as formatted.

Has anybody out there had this happen to them? Is there anyway to save the footage on this disk?

There are several very unhappy people here in St. Paul. PLEASE HELP!!!

This evening after wrapping a commercial, our producer and director were re-playing the shots we had just finished for the day. Everything played back fine and we "were" all very happy. We had viewed several takes on this mag multiple times-- THIS STUFF WAS THERE!! We get to Media Works and downloaded the files from this mag onto the editor's computer. The first several shots had errors. The rest, however, are all shots we had shot yesterday. Nothing from this evening. Panic ensued because this is the second time this has happened. The techs at RED do not seem to believe this is possible and quite responding.

I then made a disk image hoping that I might be able to retrieve out work this way but everything is corrupt. Tonight's work is now nowhere to be found. I then put the Mag back in the camera to see if our shots could still be played back on the camera, just as they had when we wrapped. Now the camera does not recognize the mag as formatted.

Has anybody out there had this happen to them? Is there anyway to save the footage on this disk?

There are several very unhappy people here in St. Paul. PLEASE HELP!!!

Somebody else has had this happen because I swear I have read almost this exact story before. I'm not sure who but it must be in the archives.

love

Freya

Somebody else has had this happen because I swear I have read almost this exact story before. I'm not sure who but it must be in the archives.

love

Freya

Hello Freya,

I imagine the story you read last month was written by me. This is the sequel. This time though there are two very angry producers who are screaming for blood and some of it is mine. But first they want their footage.

Was Media Works involved both times there was a problem?

Hello Tim,

No, the first time this happened I had been shooting B-Roll on a personal project. It was no big deal then, but still a concern. I had been working back and forth with a tech at RED about this issue the first time, but communication dropped off and died when they could not make the duplicate the problem.

On another note, the editor on this project just called and he was able to open the first file from the corrupt mag from the disk image in Final Cut. 8 More to go.

• Premium Member

Hmmm -- Was it the same 8 gig card both times? This inclines me to a policy of downloading all cards to LTO and/or RAID the instant they come off the camera. Some sort of work station on the camera truck in the same space as the darkroom for film mags.....

-- J.S.

Hmmm -- Was it the same 8 gig card both times? This inclines me to a policy of downloading all cards to LTO and/or RAID the instant they come off the camera. Some sort of work station on the camera truck in the same space as the darkroom for film mags.....

-- J.S.

Hello John,

This was a brand new card. RED talked me into buying a new card after trouble shooting this the first time. The first card has been relegated to a DSLR.

• Premium Member
RED talked me into buying a new card after trouble shooting this the first time.

Sheesh, if this had happened to us, I'd expect the vendor to give us a box of brand new cards. That's what the big established companies all do on the very very rare occaisions when their stuff screws up.

-- J.S.

Make sure that the method used to format or erase data from the card does not employ any write-caching.

I've had P2 cards that were supposed to have been clean-formatted in a PC but still had file structure info on them from that last time they were recorded to. Windows XP disables write-caching to P2 media by default, but Vista enables it by default and it must be turned off once in Device Manager.