HPX500 SD Finish

Alexis Vanier

Hi,

I'm currently exploring my options for a documentary short I'm producing. So far, the HPX-500 I feel is the camera that makes the most sense for my project with the deals I'm being offered. I don't quite totally trust the 500 to deliver the goods for an HD finish, so I'm thinking about going for a very clean SD finish. Anyway, I sort of have my mind set on a SD finish since all my other camera options are SD.

Has anyone tested the difference of shooting DVCPro 50 and finishing SD versus shooting DVCProHD and downconverting in post to finish SD.

I will most likely be editing on Final Cut Pro and I'd like to keep post as simple as possible. A trip through After Effects is out of my motivational gamut...

File size is a non-issue if you're thinking about it.

Otherwise, I was offered interesting deals for the Digibeta DVW-700WS which I've shot with already (and which I really like), the DVCAM Sony DSR-570, but I'd like to go with 4:2:2 colour space to allow myself some room for colour correction. Finally the Sony EX1 could be an option but I'd like to stay 2/3". I'm very open to suggestions.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

The HPX 500 is a fine camera, and so is the EX1. The latter has more paint menu capabilities and a native 1080 sensor, but the former has bigger chip size. I would shoot HD on either one and finish SD, you'll generally get a better SD picture that way, and if you ever need to deliver HD you already have it _instead of having to up res the SD master, which usually looks horrible, and it is very expensive to do right anyway.

I always try to acquire the biggest picture size I can afford (1080 / 2k / 4k) and down convert as needed.

I would definitely not shoot SD, particularly as you say that file size is not a problem. The last time I did it I realized I shot myself in the foot, as SD is on its way out and HD will generally archive better / be a better format for future playback.

Edited by Saul Rodgar

• Premium Member

The HPX500 is capable of producing a very nice image when combined with a decent lens. I agree with Saul, it doesn't make much sense to shoot in SD with this camera. Shooting HD will cover you if you change your mind later on, and downcoverting from HD to SD will give you a cleaner result in the end. I'd save the downcoversion process until after you master your project.