aliens have landed

Nathan Martin

Hey there,

i have a red short coming up in which an alien race lands on earth.

for the actual landing the only sign of aliens is a strong white light beaming in through kitchen windows and it moves around the backyard.

i have a fairly decent van package to light with however i believe it only goes upto 2.5k

i was thinking i may need a couple of 6k's on some sort of a track just to get enough level to compete with my nighttime ambience indoors which im assuming will be around 2-2.8 at 320asa.

the question is, do 2 6k's sound about right for the job, and will they be sharp enough and even enough to mimic a large orb of light travelling around the backyard (roughly 25' - 30' orb of light)

the next setup im curious about is the first and only time we see this giant orb. it is sitting in a clearing within some bushland. Its being keyed in after the effects are finished, but for the source of light i was thinking of a couple of 2.5's on the ground through 251. the worry i had with this was that it may not give a good even coverage over the roughly 200 degrees of trees i imagine will be in shot.

The other idea was to rig a whole lot of parcans to some truss at all angles, or putting in a couple of dinettes and angling the heads off to hit where i want. Any ideas?

the final question is. There are smaller orbs travelling through frame and vfx and myself would prefer a reference in frame to give off light and provide a tracking mark for some of the orbs.

The only idea i have so far is to make up some 12v peanut globes on xlr cables and run them off of fishing poles with some blue on them.

any and all input is greatly appreciated

thanks all

• Premium Member

I'm assuming that you're looking for the beam of light effect inside the kitchen. If a xenon lamp is an option, it might get you the look you want. They turn out a very sharp, bright beam of light. A 4K would probably do, but they also come in 6K and 8K (and bigger I'm sure).

As an aside, I would think that a 25 to 30' glowing sphere would generate a very soft light. In fact, a balloon light might be just the thing to simulate this light for your exterior shots.